Deer hunting help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying deer hunting for the first time this year too, and I have a question: I've been reading up on the no-gut method, it looks a lot easier to me, but is it legal to leave the remainders of the carcass in the field? Do you just tag it, then check it online and leave it there for the scavengers?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as you are 1/4 mile away from any dwelling you can leave the carcass there.
Use to be that the head and the genitals had to be with you at check in.. and the genitals had to be
naturally attached..
I have not read all the rules for this year.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you are 1/4 mile away from any dwelling you can leave the carcass there.
Use to be that the head and the genitals had to be with you at check in.. and the genitals had to be
naturally attached..

For some reason I thought there was only the online checkin....I may have read it wrong. Ill have to look that up

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/e-check/

"This year, all deer, all elk, and turkeys that require checking must be reported online at wildlifedepartment.com within 24 hours (or checked by an authorized Department employee, when available). The E-Check website will generate a number on a carcass tag that can be printed and attached to the harvest. If a printer is unavailable, the number may be written on a field tag and attached to the harvest. This number must remain with the carcass to its final destination or through processing and/or storage at commercial processing or storage facilities.

E-check offers hunters a more convenient way to report their harvest to Department biologists, who use the information to make the best management decisions. No longer must deer, elk and turkey hunters take their harvested game to a physical check station for reporting, although some locations will offer E-Check as a service to hunters.

Physical checking will continue for bear and antelope harvests."

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If I do the no-gut method and leave the carcass, I have to have Internet access like a smart phone, tag the deer and put the E-Check number on the tag, then just leave it there for the scavengers.........?

Am I missing something? What if you can't get Internet access in the field?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most guys I have seen around here just buy "one tag" for the entire season and will kill several deer off of it, and then just report their last kill of the season! I've seen over 100 game violations in the last two years and there's not a stinkin thing I can do about it. Law Enforcenent is spread pretty thin during hunting season and by the time you get someone out to help nab the scum, there long gone...

The E-Check system is only for the honest guy, willing to do what he knows is right....

DAVID

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
naturally attached..

Please don't leave a carcass in the ditch .26 miles from somebody's house.........................the purpose of a ditch is to control water flow.

No person may dump the carcass of any dead animal
in any well, spring, pond, or stream of water or
leave it within 1/4 mile of any occupied dwelling
or public highway without burying the carcass in an
appropriate manner where it is not liable to become
exposed through erosion of the soil or where such
land is subject to overflow. Penalties and fines have
been increased for anyone convicted of improperly
disposing of wildlife.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't chunk the carcasses into any ditches when I'm done with them, but I don't really care for the reg that says they have to be buried. Around my neck of the woods, the carrion eaters will make one go away in short order.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If I do the no-gut method and leave the carcass, I have to have Internet access like a smart phone, tag the deer and put the E-Check number on the tag, then just leave it there for the scavengers.........?

Am I missing something? What if you can't get Internet access in the field?

Lol no....
The meat, cape, antlers etc become the carcass at that point. The bones and such can stay in the field. The tag goes with what u take with you and stays on it til you get home or to the processor.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol no....
The meat, cape, antlers etc become the carcass at that point. The bones and such can stay in the field. The tag goes with what u take with you and stays on it til you get home or to the processor.

OK, thanks, I just want to play by the rules.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No gut = WASTE. You leave the ribs and the RIBEYE behind, wasting the BEST part of the deer.

To the OP: we are couple hrs south of OKC, but can show you / help you with some areas to hunt, instruction and fellowship. How old is your son? ANY hunter education? ANY hunting experience? Dove is now open, as well as squirrel (great tune up for deer season). Bow / crossbow offers much more opportunity than rifle. Finding a hunting partner around this state is near impossible if haven't lived here forever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom