Determining lead hardness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A month or so ago I placed a WTB add for a Lee or other brand hardness tester. I have automated a Master Caster and can go thru 100 pounds of lead pretty quick. I have bought close to 2,000 lbs of lead in various forms. Buckets of wheel weights that I sorted COWWs, stick on lead, and throw away anything else. Friend has donated 200 lbs of 22 bullets. I have bought 200 lbs of Linotype and then just misc lead that I am not sure of what it is. My thought was a hardness tester would be handy. One has not come my way and funds are going to bullets molds, a bullet collator, and an automated bullet sizer.

On my WTB post, there where lots of good suggestions as to how to measure lead harness. some required casting the lead into either bullets or some other smaller ingot. with all of the various sources, I was trying to find something simple. well, one of the suggestions was using drawing pencils of various hardness. I had been years since I researched using this method. under $20 investment. watched 6 or so u-tube videos and decided to give it a try. used a file to cleanup the surfaces of two 22 lead ingots, two COWW ingots, an ingot that was bright and shinny that probably had a bit of tin, and 3 others of undetermined origin.

the pencil scratch test is really pretty simple. the 22 and WW were right on. what I thought had tin was the hardest but only around 15 BHN. all my Linotype was at the shop so did not test. I am probably going to do some weight per volume calculations, density, to see if it can be further evaluated.

I am not one to add comments to posts in the classified. Not sure if those posts can be moved to here to get them all in the same place. you may have to go there if you want to see the other methods.

I am thinking about setting up to convert other individuals lead into small ingots that kind of look like raw boolits. Uncle Sam requires a license to sell (changed from "make" per rickm's post) bullets. I may just convert lead from one size to another.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For arts and crafts.
You will be surprised how far 1000 lbs of lead will not go.

This is what I posted in the other thread.
https://forum.castbulletassoc.org/thread/dhccking-lead-hardness-with-drawing-pencils/

And this method to test hardness.

How to test lead hardness. Many people use a 1" steel ball bearing. Not critical.

The instructions are from the Corbin website.

Here is a simple way to test the Bhn number of unknown lead samples: all you need is a caliper, two bottle caps, a vise, a 5mm diameter (aprox. size) ball bearing, and a known pure sample of lead (Corbin can furnish pure lead of 99.995% Pb with trace silver).
Melt enough lead to fill one bottle cap with unknown sample, and the other with known pure lead. Make sure the surface is smooth and flat when the lead hardens and cools.
When the lead is cold, put the ball bearing between the two lead surfaces and squeeze this "sandwich" in the vise until the ball is driven partly into both surfaces (just enough to make a fair sized dent, but not past the middle of the ball).
Remove the sandwich and measure the two dent diameters. First measure the known pure lead dent and write down this number. Then measure the dent diameter in the unknown lead sample and write it down. Square both numbers (multiply times themselves). Then divide the resulting square of the unknown lead dent diameter into the square of the known pure lead dent diameter. This could be written as (L times L) divided by (X times X) where L is the pure Lead dent diameter, and X is the unknown lead dent diameter.
The answer should be a number of 1 or greater. If it is a fraction, or less than 1 in value, you have inverted the two dents and divided the wrong way. In that case, try again. When you get an answer that is 1 or greater, multiply it by 5. This is the actual Brinnell Hardness Number of the unknown sample.

Here is the formula:

H = 5 * (D1^2)/(D2^2)

...where H is the hardness of the unknown sample in Bhn number, D1 is the diameter of the indentation formed in the known pure lead sample, and D2 is the diameter of the indentation in the unknown hardness sample.

Latest posts

Top Bottom