Dirt Pile Plinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Growing up in small town is southwest Kansas we had a small "gun range" right outside of town. Basically a dirt road off the highway that had a few dirt piles that you could go throw some cans out and do some plinking. It was open to the public, people policed themselves and picked up their trash. I really enjoy that as opposed to going to a real range sometimes. Is there anything like that around Tulsa or a small town nearby? Or anyone have land that has that set-up that wouldn't mind me doing some plinking.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The closest public range would be in Wagoner County, but I wouldn't recommend it - not only are there too many operator wannabe's with no concept of firearms safety, but an older man was shot and robbed out there a few years ago. I'd suggest joining a private shooting club like Red Castle or USSA, but keeping your head on a swivel still. Or, make friends with a gun-loving landowner :)

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it is sad the way land is going. Homes are encroached on my moms property too. Used to shoot in the backyard, now in all 4 directions houses in line of sight.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in southern New Jersey back in the 1960s and we went to a landfill in a nearby town and shot there. I was also lucky that the high school I went to had a rifle club. The school owned enough land that they had a four lane outdoor shooting range (I think it was 25 yards) on the far western edge of the property. The school owned four bolt action .22 rifles. I didn't shoot skeet but I think they also had a skeet range.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be the good old days. We bought our 90 acre ranch in 1999. We have White Oak Creek cutting across the northern part, west to east. I can shoot right next to my house. Or out in the pasture. Or on my handgun range I built. Or on my rifle range I built. Or I can walk down to the creek and shoot the vermin down there. Craig County is very, very rural and someplace like that is where you want to live. One hour to Tulsa, one hour to Joplin. I'm only 3 miles away from the Big Cabin turnpike entrance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom