Disabled American vet arrested in Muskogee walmart.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to put my work address, but my office is at home. Regardless, my bar number is on everything, and the bar directory is public. From there, land ownership is public record and searchable by name, and that's before we even get to my FAA and FCC licenses, etc.

Yes, but the point is someone would have to research that info. The same could be done on police officers. That is a far cry different than someone posting your personal info on their FB page so all their friends can show up at your house to threaten you.

Agree, I have to use my home address for official business. I have to answer questions about my personal life and family from cross examining attorneys when testifying professionally (not to mention listing home addresses). I can't think of a single instance where I was able to make it through a deposition (usually related to electrical grids) where I didn't have to answer questions about my kids on the record. There absolutely no reason why public servants shouldn't be held to the same standard.

This is a far cry from someone getting a police officer's personal info and posting it online in a veiled request for others to pay them a visit at their home to threaten and harass them. I was worried myself when my home address was put on a police statement and I had to testify at a parole revocation of a drug head that I witnessed stealing a truck from an Arby's while I was on a lunch break. Thankfully he is going to be jail for a while but I was worried a friend or family member would show up at my address. Personally I feel any personal info like that should be removed from the record so to prevent any harassment of witnesses, lawyers, etc.

But, again, you and Dave's situation is completely different than someone posting that info for malicious reasons. For instance, Dave talked about him taking kids away from meth heads. Yes, his info is on the paperwork so the meth head has that. Now say if the meth head posted that info on his FB with a request for his friends to "talk" to this guy about taking his kids. Its a thinly veiled solicitation for one of his friends to cause harm to Dave. That is the difference I'm arguing and saying that it should be illegal. I'm not advocating that all public servants should be completely anonymous, but rather the posting of said person's private info in the context inviting harassment or physical violence should construed as a terroristic threat.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not trying to defend any of the idiots involved in this case. I simply think doxing is not illegal, and that LEOs deserve the same doxing protections granted to everyone else: none.

While I think doxing should not be done ,I do agree with this .

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or nooses aimed at Pres. Obama? Or a severed head modeled after Pres. Trump? Yes, the threat has to be credible.

The credibility of these threats should be evaluated against the probability that such vitriolic encouragement towards violence demonstrates the tacit approval of the perceived majority by individuals whom are either so ideologically fanatical or so mentally unbalanced as to attempt to carry them out. Therefore, I move that they be deemed criminally subversive and a danger to national security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One could very well be surprised as to what one discovers if they "google" their own full name. I did so and found just about every address I've had for the last 5 to 15 years or so. That includes the addresses we had in Colorado, Oregon, and Utah. I also found the names of family members.

That is not to say that I would want someone doxing for the purpose of threatening me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a practical matter, sure.

But the blanket statement "Any business can refuse service to anyone, for any reason." is not correct given anti-discrimination laws and protected classes, which is what I wanted to clarify.
Exactly for the same reasons when someone says Okla is a fire at will state in the workplace. There are provisions where they can't. Discrimination, attempting to form a union, some medical issues, and some more you're probably aware of.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly for the same reasons when someone says Okla is a fire at will state in the workplace. There are provisions where they can't. Discrimination, attempting to form a union, some medical issues, and some more you're probably aware of.

Yes, but we have all known someone to get fired for those reasons, just not on paper. Thus, we circle around to my earlier point, any business can refuse service to anyone, for anything. May not be the reason they put down, but trying to prove otherwise is futile.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One could very well be surprised as to what one discovers if they "google" their own full name. I did so and found just about every address I've had for the last 5 to 15 years or so. That includes the addresses we had in Colorado, Oregon, and Utah. I also found the names of family members.

That is not to say that I would want someone doxing for the purpose of threatening me.
I hear ya! Googled my wife's name once and turns out she shares the same name as an adult film lady. I joke with my wife quite a bit. My wife does leather work like belts, purses, wallets etc., I'll tell my wife somebody somewhere was needing leather work done and I told them they could see her work by googling her name. Lmao. Then my wife gets angry toward me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom