Disappointed in the gun community

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at a gun show recently where I overheard a guy telling his GF/Wife, "This is the gun I want you to buy". Whatever happened to being patient and allowing the little lady to pick the gun out for herself. I have seen a ton of threads that read "I bought this for my Wife/GF thinking she would like it and she did not". Guys I am of the opinion that SHE needs to handle several different models to see which particular weapon fits her hand the best, and has the best feel to HER. I allowed my wife to do that very thing and she settled on the Walther P22. She shoots it and loves it. In fact she is a better shot with it than I am. Just thought I would take a minute to vent. Not trying to offend anyone, and this is not aimed at anyone in particular. Thanks for listening.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm torn on the option of buying a gun for my wife or letting her pick it out herself. If, for example, I buy her a S&W 642 no-lock and she hates it, guess who gets it? That's right!

I see no downside here. ;)

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think in general most guys react to this because their SO shows some interest in shooting. They see it as something they can enjoy together and the guy usually jumps in with both feet. Guys like to solve problems, and encountering this problem they simply decide they can solve it with their preferences. Unfortunately this usually then forces the SO into a firearm that they're not comfortable with and they end up shying away from shooting.

I've always been pretty much hands off, my SO and myself tend to be completely opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to firearms. She has what she likes, and I have what I like. But in the end she's having fun with what she has and I'm having fun with what I have.

Most recently when some of my friend's have asked me questions regarding firearms I have given them my opinions, but in the end I do everything I can to have them try and handle the firearms. Everyone is slightly different, and choice of firearm is usually a very subjective choice.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I think you may have read too much into his statement. My wife wanted to start shooting with me but had no interest in handling a bunch of firearms to see "what fit". I researched all the models in the caliber she wanted and decided on two different styles. In the end she chose the S&W Sigma because of the simplicity and the hard trigger pull. Seems to be her cup of tea. That is until she shot my XD .45 a few weekends ago. :-( Now we are on the hunt for an XD 9mm

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know is that my wife appreciated being involved in the choice and has had a blast with her little Walther. I guess YMMV, but I still say let them pick it out, they'll appreciate it more.

gmplaster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am guilty of doing it right and wrong. My wife was very willing to shoot and get her CCW license. She really likes the S&W M&P9 and shoots it well. Later I thought a cute little LCP would be a perfect gun for her. Wrong! She can't rack the slide. It's gone! Traded away thru OSA.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife claimed firearms I already had--eventually I have replaced most of them LOL. Higgy, you know my wife--she gets what she wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom