Disappointed in the gun community

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So with that simple comment you are not invasive, or arrogant, you share an experience. If the person doesn't get it, then that is their problem, but you would be surprised how these little seeds grow.....

Again, I am sure you're right BUT I still live under the impression that my nose doesn't necessarily belong in other peoples conversations. SO I made the decision to keep mum on the subject. While I am the type of will freely admit that I don't know it all and will take advice that seems sound, there are a lot of folks out there who don't share that opinion. Just my .02.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope these comments were made in jest. It was not just that ONE comment. I(t has been several encounters, conversations, and so forth that have left me feeling this way. As far as saying something... Well, I almost did and then thought better of it. The pistol was a hammerless 38 revolver, maybe S&W. I wanted to point out the long trigger pull and need for a lot of range time BUT did not. I guess that is shame on me. While the comment disturbed me, I felt that it would be useless to intervene. This particular gentleman seemed like the usual know it all, super genius that you commonly run across at these events. So for what it is worth that is/was my motivation for saying nothing.

Somewhat in jest, but also questioning why the "gun community" is entirely all a disappointment.

This board is a "gun community", there are many outstanding folks here, and we've seen some fine examples of some less than outstanding folks, I don't judge the entire community by the actions of a few, that is what the anti-gunners do....

I see it aot also, I'm not going to blame it on the gun community though, there are ignorant/uneducated/uniformed/misinformed people everywhere, doesn't disappoint me in one particular group or community, other than the human race in general. I do take the opportunity to educate where I can, and when I sense the other individual is capable of getting the concept.

I have a saying, that the only thing worse than no information, is bad information, and it seems that bad information spreads quickly while the good information falls on deaf ears so I need to talk louder......

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree to a point. But it all depends on the individual. The guy at the pawn shop was loud, braggadocious and wouldn't even listen to the girl behind the counter. When you overhear a person telling another person they hit 6 golfballs in 6 seconds at a 100 yds with iron sights using a 44 mag revolver, it would be a waste of time to even try to talk to the guy.
I'm sure we have all ran into people like that.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree to a point. But it all depends on the individual. The guy at the pawn shop was loud, braggadocious and wouldn't even listen to the girl behind the counter. When you overhear a person telling another person they hit 6 golfballs in 6 seconds at a 100 yds with iron sights using a 44 mag revolver, it would be a waste of time to even try to talk to the guy.
I'm sure we have all ran into people like that.

Yup, that's when you play them up, "WOW! You did that at 100yds? I can't even see a golf ball at 100yds, that is absolutely incredible. You should try out for top shots, I don't even think the guys on there could do that." You are sure to get a grin out of the 110lb girl at least... :)

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhat in jest, but also questioning why the "gun community" is entirely all a disappointment.

This board is a "gun community", there are many outstanding folks here, and we've seen some fine examples of some less than outstanding folks, I don't judge the entire community by the actions of a few, that is what the anti-gunners do....

I see it aot also, I'm not going to blame it on the gun community though, there are ignorant/uneducated/uniformed/misinformed people everywhere, doesn't disappoint me in one particular group or community, other than the human race in general. I do take the opportunity to educate where I can, and when I sense the other individual is capable of getting the concept.

I have a saying, that the only thing worse than no information, is bad information, and it seems that bad information spreads quickly while the good information falls on deaf ears so I need to talk louder......

Okay so what I should have said was I am disappointed in SOME/CERTAIN members of the gun community. How's that? LOL. Anyway, I was just venting a little. Rant off.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife will go into a gun shop with me and start messing with a pocket gun like a Beretta .25 or something just because it has pink grips. I constantly tell her, "Buy what you want, but I want you to practice with what you get." She never wants to practice so needless to say, I've never got it for her.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is a crack shot with her little Walther. She does practice and loves it. I bought her a little spinner target to shoot at with it. I am scared of making her mad...... LOL.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well.... If I were buying scrap booking supplies, or something at Victorias secret. I would definately let my wife make the decision. As far a guns go, I've been shooting, reading, researching, and discussing them for most of my life. My wife can have input, but I will buy the one that makes the most sense for her. Not because I'm a chauvinist, just because my knowledge base is a bit broader

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well.... If I were buying scrap booking supplies, or something at Victorias secret. I would definately let my wife make the decision. As far a guns go, I've been shooting, reading, researching, and discussing them for most of my life. My wife can have input, but I will buy the one that makes the most sense for her. Not because I'm a chauvinist, just because my knowledge base is a bit broader

So you're saying that you know best and while she is welcome to have some input you're gonna get her whatever you think she needs anyway? Nevermind that the caliber isn't right for her, nevermind that it doesn't fit her hand well, nevermind that she will struggle with length of trigger pull, nevermind that she can't conceal it in a a purse or carry it comfortably. YOU will make those decisions for her because you are the expert in the house huh. HMMMMMM. Thanks for your input sir.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you're saying that you know best and while she is welcome to have some input you're gonna get her whatever you think she needs anyway? Nevermind that the caliber isn't right for her, nevermind that it doesn't fit her hand well, nevermind that she will struggle with length of trigger pull, nevermind that she can't conceal it in a a purse or carry it comfortably. YOU will make those decisions for her because you are the expert in the house huh. HMMMMMM. Thanks for your input sir.

So how did you get all of that from his comment? He specifically said "My wife can have input, but I will buy the one that makes the most sense for her".

You took it to mean that she had nothing to contribute, where I read it that she gets input, but if she is leaning towards something that isn't reliable, or is just "pretty" then he is going to push towards something that makes more sense.

I've done the same thing with my wife, she was completely focused on something that was light. I told her that a light gun was typically going to have more recoil and be harder for her to shoot. I let her shoot several lighter pistols and she hated them all. She took her Intro class and CCW class with a Glock 17, big, heavy, and very comfortable for her, she now carries a Glock 26, lighter, and she loves to shoot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom