Do Not use Wire Brush!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you piss on a rock long enough, you'll make a hole...

Look at holster wear next time you want to consider whether or not bronze brushes will have an effect on barrels, chambers and crowns. Leather is considerably softer than bronze and yet I've seen countless Colt Single Actions with an actual distinct bevel on the holster side of the end of the barrel.

I do carefully use bronze brushes for cleaning, but in a match rifle I am always extra careful and NEVER reverse the direction of cleaning to go backwards across the crown.

When it comes down to it, you're going to shoot out your barrel long before you'll wear it out from cleaning. The difference is if you cause damage to the crown or the chamber where the rifling begins while you're cleaning. For 99% of the things you probably shoot, it won't make much difference but if you're shooting for extreme accuracy, then you'll want to take extreme caution.

OH, and use a bore guide if the above is the case.

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I'd think that some of the chemicals used _could_ do more damage than a bronze brush. But as stated earlier, shooting will wear it out long before cleaning will.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you piss on a rock long enough, you'll make a hole...

Look at holster wear next time you want to consider whether or not bronze brushes will have an effect on barrels, chambers and crowns. Leather is considerably softer than bronze and yet I've seen countless Colt Single Actions with an actual distinct bevel on the holster side of the end of the barrel.

I do carefully use bronze brushes for cleaning, but in a match rifle I am always extra careful and NEVER reverse the direction of cleaning to go backwards across the crown.

When it comes down to it, you're going to shoot out your barrel long before you'll wear it out from cleaning. The difference is if you cause damage to the crown or the chamber where the rifling begins while you're cleaning. For 99% of the things you probably shoot, it won't make much difference but if you're shooting for extreme accuracy, then you'll want to take extreme caution.

OH, and use a bore guide if the above is the case.
In the case of holster wear what we are seeing is a fine example of lapping. (the charging or embedding of hard particules in a a soft surface, in this case crud, or as a vacuum cleaner salesman would say, sand, into the leather, to cut a harder surface, steel. I personally believe that aluminum and brass rods will do the same thing, if allowed to rub against the bore. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Top Bottom