Do you care?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had heard this too... anyone here part of those furloughs in the past that can comment? I heard someone who had gone through it before on the radio comment that she just laughs because she knows it will end up being a paid vacation is all.

I doubt it will happen this time.

In the past those furloughs were a result of budget arguments, the failure to pass authorizations, and government shutdowns etc...once the issue was resolved and the money/budget/authorizations were worked out, then folks got paid.

These furloughs are a result of the requirement to stop spending money. Turning around later and authorizing back pay for time not worked then erases any spending cuts or savings....making it pointless.

Then again, because it would be pointless, it'll probably happen that way. LOL.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It comes down to why I posted this is due to fact our money is being spent so ineptly. I know this will hurt many folks and it is always taken away from the folks first. This is what made me think of it.

i550.photobucket.com_albums_ii428_cichlid_dave_5596103bdbc4c3d90ad3dc0ee4f9b224_zpsa230d925.jpg

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question? So many on here have a problem with the amountof govt spending yet have a problem with proposed cuts. What shall we do then? I know entitlement spending needs drastic reigning in but so do all of the govt agencies. DOD included. Nobody on here or anywhere else can convince me that ALL of their department's spending is critical or that EVERY job effected is essential.

Maybethe problem isn't in those wanting to cut your department's budget but rather it is with those within your department who spend unnecessarily. Maybe they should trim fat and eliminatenon-essential employees or under performing people. No, it'seasier to make it across the board so everyone feels some pain instead of manning up and maybe even looking like the bad guy by cutting strings to lean their departments.

When things were slow a few yearsback for me I didn't lay everyone off one day per week. No. The well performing employees were taken care of IF their job was essential enough AND I could afford them. Others were wished well. It sucked but was the right thing to do. We learned to run leaner and are stronger today because of it. If i'd have just furloughed through the tough patch and never made adjustments to become better. We'd be waitingfor the next slow spell to sink our ship. Instead those still with me make more money than ever before without the frustration of pulling dead weight. They are also paid on merrit and job importance not by how long they'vemanaged to ride the wave of employment

It sucks to say and many will scorn me but some of you fed employees need to be fired. Either bc you are under performing or bc you aren't truly essential (even if you think you are) Others of you should not miss a beat and not be asked to take one day off without pay. I understand though that some of you who belong in the first group think you belong in the second.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also I don't really know much of fed employees benifits but they do seem decent. Several of you haave complained about the pension 401k and insurance. I know a lot of people that work really hard for not employer split insurance 401k or pension. I also don't know anyone that doesn't worj for the govt or a bank that had president's day or mlk day off with pay unless using a vacation day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much of a match do you get on your 401ks?

Up to 5%

Really the benefits aren't that spectacular. FERS (our retirement) payout comes out to about what you'd get from social security, and we have to pay into that too, it's not a freebie. Plus our salaries are about 20% less than the same job in the private sector. They pay about half of our insurance premiums.

Really the only *bonus* for being a fed. employee is the schedule. I've only had do maybe 40 hours of overtime in 5 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom