Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

Do Know Harm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
JHP preferred for most guns and most situations. I agree with the .380 thoughts above, but as of yet have not carried anything that small for CCW. I also agree with the post that any person should pay the extra for quality ammunition for their carry weapons. One addition to that last thought is to get new carry ammunition every so often. I do this at least annually.

Dakota10986

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For my glock 30 (.45 ACP) i carry Hornady XTP 230gr JHP (a +P round). They definately have more kick than the cheap ammo but it's really managable and very easy to shoot accurately. They also feed perfectly in my gun. I've seen what that round will do to deer so I could only imagine what it would to when taken to the chest of a human. I think that round perfectly matches the definition of "stopping power". Not only is the risk of over penetration a factor with FMJ...but you also don't get near a drastic wound channel as with a JHP round...which is one major factor in determining stopping capability.

dh9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch recommend FMJ ammo for 1911 style pistols due to reliability issues. Not sure if he still advocates this, but it would seem wise to shoot alot of what you plan to carry to make sure your gun will run with it.

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only two types of ammo I currently have are fmj and +p. I have fmj in my Kel Tec, only because when I shot the +p, it was completely uncontrollable, rather than the mildly uncontrollable that it normally is. I need to pick up some plain jhp, but haven't come across any recently.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't generalize from either profession to what the average citizen might experience.
You have a point.
We can however, draw from actual incidents that happened on the streets.
That's why training that draws from real life incidents is arguably better than that which is not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom