Does the term COMPETITION or MATCH scare you out of playing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the term competition or even match scares a lot of would be shooters from joining us at the fun organized shootings events. So from this day forward I am going to call everything an organized shooting event rather than a match or a competition.

What do you think?

lcunningham

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I think of an organized shooting event I think of standing around shooting whatever. Competition makes me think exactly what it is and I try to better myself with each match I go to. I'm new to the game have only been to three matches, my 4th this weekend in Ponca then Old Fort following that. I just look at it in the mindset that I am not going to be as good as phil, mike, or even you Jesse at this point, maybe someday. My goal is to just do better than my last event. I do not think that changing the name will help. People just need to not be afraid to come out and give it a shot.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I think of an organized shooting event I think of standing around shooting whatever. Competition makes me think exactly what it is and I try to better myself with each match I go to. I'm new to the game have only been to three matches, my 4th this weekend in Ponca then Old Fort following that. I just look at it in the mindset that I am not going to be as good as phil, mike, or even you Jesse at this point, maybe someday. My goal is to just do better than my last event. I do not think that changing the name will help. People just need to not be afraid to come out and give it a shot.

Well said.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It used to, but now that I have started shooting match's, it is nothing like what I thought. I thought when I went out and shot poorly that people would laugh and make fun of me. Well that has proved to be incorrect. Actually it is the complete opposite, the guys that win the matchs, are always offering advice on how I can improve. And it is working, ever since my first match 3 weeks ago, I have improved in every other match I have shot. I actually beat on of the best shooters I have ever seen on one stage on Sunday.

Shooting these match's is the most fun I have ever legally had, and I owe it all to Jesse. He is the one that kept trying to talk me into coming to a match. I look foward to many more match's, and eventually beating JT, at least once

Bk2X

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the terms competition or match. A buddy of mine started doing them a year or so ago and I never put much thought into it but few months back he asked me to go out to one. I had every intention to watch him shoot the match but when he came to pick me up, he wouldn't let me leave my house without my gun bag. Fortunately, he kept hounding me to shoot so I gave in and had a blast. Now I am hooked and have plans to shoot an event every weekend and have even ordered ipsc targets, a timer, and better competition gear.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just saw that there is Steel Challenge in Ada (about 3 miles from my house actually) and I've never shot a match. I guess I need to get my arse in gear.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the terms competition or match. A buddy of mine started doing them a year or so ago and I never put much thought into it but few months back he asked me to go out to one. I had every intention to watch him shoot the match but when he came to pick me up, he wouldn't let me leave my house without my gun bag. Fortunately, he kept hounding me to shoot so I gave in and had a blast. Now I am hooked and have plans to shoot an event every weekend and have even ordered ipsc targets, a timer, and better competition gear.

Have you tried 3 gun yet? SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: 3 GUN is highly addictive. It had been known to cause accute twitching of the index finger, decreased room in your gun safe, and lead to the purchase of a progressive reloading press.

Just saw that there is Steel Challenge in Ada (about 3 miles from my house actually) and I've never shot a match. I guess I need to get my arse in gear.

Steel Challeng is a blast! You need to get out and try it. It is the easiest organized shooting event to start with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom