Does the term COMPETITION or MATCH scare you out of playing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My single and only regret with regard to competitive shooting is that I waited so long to start. It scared the crap out of me until I finally gave it a try... The community is awesome and filled with super talented and driven people, really great to be around. I shoot multiple matches most every weekend and I'm still not any good but having the time of my life and building a valuable skill set.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the biggest thing Rusty. Getting out, shooting your firearms, becoming better with them, AND (i think most importantly) becoming a part of the shooting community. There a TON of very helpful, knowledgeable, and very nice people in the shooting community. I never was scared of matches because Jesse T. talked me into coming to my first one before I knew what I was getting in to. I don't regret it one bit. If I hadn't spent money on guns, I'd probably had spent it on my truck. I am much happier and better off having the know how to shoot a firearm and learning something new each and every match. Hell I have considered taking down some of my first youtube vids because I'm embarrassed how I shot. But we all started somewhere and I am glad I did start. I have a long loooooong ways to go before I am anywhere near as good as some guys that shoot matches, but they are all helpful and they aren't afraid of sharing their secrets to make me better. The only way to know is to get out and try it. Rusty, you are to good. You beat the hell out of me every match still. I blame it on that eothingy. I wanna shoot a match with one of those!

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't take down those early videos JDog. They are awesome to go back and laugh at. I actually cried in the bathroom at OKCGC during my first match I was so bad. I felt like Gomer Pile in FMJ. I wish somebody would have got me out to a match when I was 20 something years old. I wasted a ton of money and time on the golf course when I could have been shooting.

P.S. Those were tears of joy well that and I went into the can after Cyrwus.

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just have to approach the sport with no ego. I think a lot of gun owners, especially those who have been around guns their whole lives, have a lot of pride in their ability to shoot. You just have to realize that if this is something you've never done before, nobody expects you to be amazing and everybody is friendly and wants to see you improve.

lcunningham

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just have to approach the sport with no ego. I think a lot of gun owners, especially those who have been around guns their whole lives, have a lot of pride in their ability to shoot. You just have to realize that if this is something you've never done before, nobody expects you to be amazing and everybody is friendly and wants to see you improve.

You could at least say my name when you talk about me... I know where my ability with pistols is. I just try to improve each time. If I was shooting carbine or long rifle i'd be pissed.

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about you specifically man. You're a good example of that though, and you're doing an awesome job about picking up knowledge and improving as you go. There are just a lot of people that don't come out and compete because they're afraid of being embarrassed.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well said Robbie!

PS your USPSA number link is still pointed at the old location. PM me if you need to new code.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In context of the subject title, I think the reason many don't participate is fear of the unknown. I know I held some trepidation when I participated in my first Steel Challenge game last month. I was unsure what to expect. New people, a new shooting scenario different than paper at a range, longer distances to engage the target, time limits, etc.

Then when someone reads the forums that deal with competition, they see the intensity that experienced gamers talk and likely think that they'll definitely be outclassed, out equiped and out performed. Immersing yourself into that scenario is cause for fear and anxiety.

The only way to get through all this is to simply come out and participate. My advice for the shooter who wants to play but is terrified... try Steel Challenge first. Bring a .22 rimfire pistol so you're not worried about the cost of ammo or the recoil that comes with a centerfire. Come with the attitude that the first event you shoot is a shakedown run and that experienced gamers will help and encourage you to learn the game. And just have fun with it and enjoy the experience. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom