Dong's (As defined by myself, the Oxford Dictionary, and Tulsa People/Google Review)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noober1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Went to Sportmans World today.... People are nicer .....but.... When I asked if any of the 1911 had any MIM parts they said they all did.... I mentioned that the CZ DAn Wessons didn't and they swore they did have MIM internals... I looked it up on my phone and showed them then their story changed and he said "Well CZ is just too heavy with no MIM parts...see feel this one." I know I look a little slow but really? http://www.cz-usa.com/press-releases/34/

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't care for their attitude the few times I have been there. In my opinion, they act like they really are put out with people coming into the store which begs the question, "why are they there?"

Noober1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your concerns about Dong's are correct. They should be courteous and ask what it is you are looking for without passing judgement. They remind me of a low budget car repair shop. Same attitude.

However, this thing you are going on about does seem a little obscure. I'm not a 1911 expert, so I have to ask: Are the original 1911s built this way, and modern production methods at some point started cutting corners, or are these hardened internals a new concept altogether? I'm thinking most gun dealers are looking at you with a bit of confusion (or contempt in the case of Dongs) because this is a gun that has been around for 100 years and is still one of the most popular. It is hard to believe that suddenly the gun needs new internals.

Isn't the average life of a 1911 20,000-40,000 rounds anyway?

I'm sure there will be people that will step up and share their wisdom after I state my case however....It is not my case I state but an O'Timer Gun Smith who specializes in 1911's. After a long conversation and a hand full of failed MIM parts....I was a believer. And it's as simple as that. Besides...read about the process and you'll understand if the chemistry isn't perfect you'll get premature failure. Here's a very gross analogy strictly from me.... MDF last longer or a piece a lumber in its natural state? Eventually, the MDF will break down sooner. Oh....let's hear it now... lol GROSS ANALOGY works for me. No seriously.. I don't want to hear it.:teach:

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no Dong's fan (no pun intended) but they do have a decent selection of the odds and ends stuff one might need for an afternoon project or something. The main thing for me is I feel there is definitely some age discrimination going on. I may be in my 20's but I am perfectly capable of purchasing a firearm; which, based on their lack of any customer service, they apparently have no interest in selling to me.

In all fairness, I went there not too long ago to look at pocket pistols while I was in the area and they had a new employee who was very willing to help customers. It was quite busy and he made sure to get to everyone who wanted to see something. If he didn't know the answer to a question about price or availability (he was new after all), he made sure to get with someone who did (one of the useless other guys who were standing around) and get an answer to the customer immediately.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dong's, 2A, Sooner & USSA are the only gun shops in Tulsa that have contributed to the fundraiser matches we have promoted. I'll support the stores that give back to the shooting community.

Latest posts

Top Bottom