Dong's??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason the store was packed has nothing to do with the store itself. Its the times we are in and every store that sells guns is packed on weekends. Dong's is like any store. The only way to have a good experience in that store is if you deal with a new hire because ultimately the staff takes on the demeanor of the owner. Since the owner is a pr&%k, its to be expected. I have gone strictly mail order on supplies other than powder. Hope the guy that fell is ok..

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For many years I had such a store with prices 10-30% below Dong's, Sportsworld, Qualified shooters, Tulsa Reloading and all the others.
I competed head on with the wholesalers dumping at gunshows, the shotgun news and anybody else.
After it was too late, to realize what was going on.
Times got tough and I didn't have those extra "Profits" in the bank from the high markup the others were charging to carry me thru those rough times. and closed in 2000

The biggest complainers about Dong's ,Sportsworld and others are the cheapazz's who would still complain if they were selling the stuff for 50% under cost. You will also notice they are the ones constantly selling in the classifieds for high prices. Its just Dong's and Sportsworld don't want to be their suppliers.

I don't really think you understand. That place has been paid for twice over for 20 years. No rent, low taxes, low operating costs, next to zero competition for certain items, and yet they still have THE highest prices in NE Oklahoma and the least friendly staff.

I can understand places like Sports World having higher prices due to location, moving to a larger, newer place, higher operating costs, etc., yet they have much lower prices than Dong's in most cases. Attitude has been variable there over the years, but I've never been treated bad.

Unless I need it 5 minutes ago, Dong's can suck it! :(

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really think you understand. That place has been paid for twice over for 20 years. No rent, low taxes, low operating costs, next to zero competition for certain items, and yet they still have THE highest prices in NE Oklahoma and the least friendly staff.

I can understand places like Sports World having higher prices due to location, moving to a larger, newer place, higher operating costs, etc., yet they have much lower prices than Dong's in most cases. Attitude has been variable there over the years, but I've never been treated bad.

Unless I need it 5 minutes ago, Dong's can suck it! :(

I was watching that Kitchen Nightmares show the other day and there is a parallel here. It's the show where Gordon Ramsey goes into a failing restaurant and yells and barks and screams at the owners about how stupid they are and how bad their food sucks and then he helps them turn it all around... does a remodel, new name, new menu, puts a remote control cattle prod up the owner's asses so he can control them later, etc..

Anyway... in one episode he was talking to the owners of this terrible craphole of a restaurant somewhere in NYC. They were failing but they had one thing that had allowed them to keep the doors open for so long despite their lack of quality food, abrasive owners and terrible decor. THEY OWNED THE BUILDING. This was an especially huge advantage in the high rent area of NYC they were in. Once Ramsey turned them around and fixed all of the other issues, they were so profitable they couldn't even hardly stand it.

This is not something to take lightly... owning the building lowers your overhead tremendously. It allows you to undercut the other local competitors. It allows you to maintain higher stock levels of inventory and a wider selection. Those things in turn keep people coming in your door no matter what the customer service is like, the building looks like, location, etc...

Dongs owns the building free and clear. That is their formula for success. Period.

comentakeit

Marksman
Reaction score
dongs is the worst man, every time i go i leave empty handed and pissed off. they are price gougers, wonder why they are the only ones with ammo? because they are (as of yesterday) charging 19.99 for a 20 rd box of american eagle .223 55gr. this box is worth 7.99. 16.99 for 20 stell cased WPA (wolf) which is worth 5.99 FCK DONGS I HOPE IT DOES BURN TO THE GROUND

Latest posts

Top Bottom