Doomsday Prepping Going Mainstream?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could this be the new norm? There are a lot of forums/shows/etc devoted to survivalism and doomsday prepping.

Bunker Mentality: The booming business of Doomsday
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/07/bunker-mentalitythe-booming-business-doomsday/

A new show on The Discovery Channel: 'Doomsday Bunkers' shows how one man is helping people prepare for Armageddon
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...people-prepare-for-armageddon/?intcmp=related

Best Car to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/05/18/best-car-survive-zombie-apocalypse/?intcmp=related

Fall TV pilot trends: beasts, maids and survivalists
http://www.vancouversun.com/enterta...+beasts+maids+survivalists/6257701/story.html

SURVIVORS

AMC”s hit “The Walking Dead” is wildly admired among the writers and producers who come up with show ideas, and its influence may help explain why they’ve churned out several shows about people on the edge of survival. In lieu of zombies, they face energy crises, brutal competition, and a desperate struggle to build the world anew.

What else were you expecting in 2012? Apocalypse dramas were some of the Mayans’ favorite shows.

ABC’s “The Last Resort,” from Shawn Ryan, follows a renegade nuclear submarine crew that refuses to deploy its weapons, and instead declare themselves a sovereign nation. With nukes.

NBC’s “Revolution,” from “Lost” producers J.J. Abrams and Brian Burke, imagines a world where all sources of energy suddenly disappear. Brilliant “Breaking Bad” bad guy Giancarlo Esposito plays a tough but genteel Southern military who may not be as he appears.

Fans of dystopian realities just miiiiiight see similarities, meanwhile, between the CW’s “The Selection” and ”The Hunger Games.” The pilot, based on an upcoming series of books, is described as an epic futuristic romance in which a poor young woman is chosen by lottery to compete to become the queen of a war-torn nation. Could it ride the popularity of the upcoming Jennifer Carpenter film the way CW’s “Vampire Diaries” did the success of the “Twilight” movies? That seems to be the idea.

NBC’s “Frontier” is also in survivalist mode, though it looks at our rugged past, not our doomed (well, according to television) future. The Western, from Shaun Cassidy, follows 1840s pioneers. (While they aren’t survivalist shows, two others sound like they similarly could have come from the mind of “Fight Club” and ”Survivor” writer Chuck Pahlaniuk. An untitled Kevin Williamson project for Fox and the CW’s “Cult,” from writer Rockne O’Bannon, are both about criminal cults.)

bmwguy25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think its pretty popular but also speaks to what people are starting to feel about the current situation their government is in. ALso talk about a job, building these bunkers so you know exactly where to go when SHTF haha

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time we get a libcom in the Prez office we get the bunker-builder 'news'.

The smart ones never make the news, and don't care who's in office.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prepping? Mainstream? No, normal people find the obsessive-delusional behavior of others interesting. It only seems mainstream because we demand TV shows about it so we can drink beer and laugh.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prepping? Mainstream? No, normal people find the obsessive-delusional behavior of others interesting. It only seems mainstream because we demand TV shows about it so we can drink beer and laugh.

Wait, What? I was just getting ready to try shooting at my house to test how bullet proof it was. Of course I was going to use a BB gun and only shoot at a corner.

bmwguy25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I don't get is these morons on prep shows is showing EXACTLY what he has, silver, ammo and a picture of the front of his house? WTF is he stupid and want to be the first person looted. Best idea I would think is to not let them know you have things worth taking?

Latest posts

Top Bottom