Dot Optics...handgun vs long gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, probably a stupid question, but I’m relatively new to trying dot optics on handguns.
Or long guns for that matter.

Are there different sights/models for handguns vs long guns?

Are they all the same?

Or are some better for handguns vs long guns?

Thanks

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are different attachment systems for pistols that usually involve screws and peg alignment. You can get plates to make something non compliant work, but it raises your sight potentially over your irons. Most rifle sights are going to be something like picatinny rail. What kinds of weapons were you wanting to put sights on, do you have any specifics?

Doyen

Marksman
Reaction score
Typically rifle red dots are larger(body) with a finer dot and mount using 1913 and are closed emitter or holographic.

Pistol dots are typically much much smaller and have a “foot print” some common ones are rmr, dpp, RMSc, etc. they mount to a pistol via a plate or the pistol has to be “cut” for the specific pattern. Most pistol red dot are open emitter but there a several that are out now that are closed. They also tend to have a larger dot.

That being said pistol dots can be mounted on rifles and pistols, if you have the right mount ie I mounted a Trijicon RMR to my MPX using a scaler works 1.93” mount. Where as a rifle/larger red dot dosnt mount to a pistol. So if you don’t mind re-mounting/re-zeroing it a pistol style dot would be most cost effective for several guns.

If you are looking to buy a red dot I would look at your budget, what the purpose of the red dot is and how you plan to mount it/if your firearm can accept it. Sometimes you end up spending as much on mounts/plates as you do the red dot.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Typically rifle red dots are larger(body) with a finer dot and mount using 1913 and are closed emitter or holographic.

Pistol dots are typically much much smaller and have a “foot print” some common ones are rmr, dpp, RMSc, etc. they mount to a pistol via a plate or the pistol has to be “cut” for the specific pattern. Most pistol red dot are open emitter but there a several that are out now that are closed. They also tend to have a larger dot.

That being said pistol dots can be mounted on rifles and pistols if you have the right mount ie I have mounted a Trijicon RMR to my MPX using a scaler works 1.93” mount. Where as a rifle/larger red dot dosnt mount to a pistol. So if you don’t mind re-mounting/re-zeroing a dot probably a pistol style dot would be most cost effective for several guns.

If you are looking to buy a red dot I would look at your budget, what the purpose of the red dot is and how you plan to mount it/if your firearm can accept it. Sometimes you end up spending as much on mounts/plates as you do the red dot.
Good advice.
I’m a big fan of red dots on rifles and hunting handguns, and I have a Trijicon RMR, a couple Aimpoint Micros, and three Holosuns (two 509t and a 403r on a turkey shotgun). In my opinion, if you don’t know what you want and if you’re going to like a red dot, Holosun has the most options and at a price point that doesn’t break the bank.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've put red dots on everything. In the 90's I made a custom bracket and had one on my compound bow. Dot size from 1-10 minutes and brightness intensity are the variables you need to look at. Like every choice you make there are +'s and -'s. What is the distance you plan on using them to maintain or expect accuracy within those perimeters. Alway have 2 battery options with you and a back-up hot battery. By this I mean you must have a hot hot hot battery in sunlight but on rainy, overcast days in the timber you will want a well used battery as a new battery can be overbearing, yes, even on the lowest setting. Below a pic of my TEXASS Ranger Tactical Scout Rifle. Note the oversize cheek pad to ensure a positive cheek weld for consistent accuracy/geometry. Red Dot is the Blood Spot
Winch 94's.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom