Double Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drillings, fragile!!!! I have owned MANY drillings and never considered them fragile. I even have one that is a double rifle with a shotgun barrel. I have hunted with drillings off and on for the past 50 years with nary a failure in the field.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea what drillings are. Please explain.

Usually a double barrel shotgun with a third (rifle) barrel below and centered. Used a lot in Africa when one is bird hunting but might need a big gun for self defense.

We usually pronounce like it looks (rhymes with killing), but the Germans, who I think originated the concept and who built probably most of them say it "dryling." Count to three in German to see why. CB

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't buy it... when double rifle were first made, long before CNC and standard loads ... that might have been true.
with modern CNC tooling, once regulation is done with tolerances repeatable in tenths. you cannot tell me mfg of double rifles cannot be repeated. a perfect example is Springfield M6 double rifle mfg by CZ. I've got a .22 hornet/.410 combo. reports are almost all M6, both barrels will shoot to same point of impact with .410 slug & .22

craftsmanship using only highest grade materials like grade 3 walnut or better does cost more. along with engraving and finish work does take more manpower = more $$$. that I can understand.

You have to regulate double rifles so the barrels will intersect POI's at a given distance. As MoBoost said, it may or may not be voodoo magic like some of the double gunmakers claim. That and most of them are hand made with premium materials such as AAA fancy, English, French & Circassian walnut stocks, along with hand chiseled engraving (often with gold inlays), real ivory and gold beads, etc. and you can see why they get pricey real quick. They have upscale clientele, so they charge upscale prices to boot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom