DPMS GII SASS 308 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Super cool! I really like the .308. Just wishing there was still a supply of cheap surplus around.

Keep an eye out and you will sometimes find Lake City M80 for not much more than $0.50-0.60/round. I think it was Sportsman's Guide I got my last case from, for $0.56/round shipped. Keep an eye on the price compiler websites like gun-deals.com and slickguns.com.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate to tell you this but that messed up brass your holding is not from hot anything. My SASS did that from round one. I just sent it back to DPMS to fix.

That isn't my experience at all. My rifle had way too much gas to run a suppressor. MicroMoa to the rescue. I have slowed my carrier speed down to where I can run the rifle suppressed or unsuppressed with no ill effects on the brass...well except the primer cratering, but that horse has been beat to death elsewhere.

I need to do a review on the MicroMoa...that little gas block is full of awesomeness.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've sold a few of the 24" variants and have received nothing but positive feedback. And I can bash DPMS a lot. A whole lot...

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe the dirt in your chamber increased the pressure on that round?

It's been quite awhile, but I think it was probably something like dirt or the case didn't have proper neck tension and the bullet setback during chambering. I remember they were some type of soft point hunting load and I wanted the brass.

shadeogray

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what little I have found the brass being gouged by the bolt is common for the G2 series.
I got my weapon back about a week ago, they included 3 brass shells each different in regards to manufacturer. The fix indicated on the repair slip was “New Bolt Type” installed. I have no clue what that means exactly. Everyone on the know side, is avoiding my inquiry about said bolt. I have no clue what the difference is between the factory installed bolt and this new one, as I was not given my old bolt back…
I am curious but I do not have the time right now to pursue the issue (Meaning I am presently out of rum and coke). As long as it fixed the issue, and judging from the enclosed brass the issue is indeed fixed. If I had to guess I would “assume” this bolts firing pin hole size has been reduced and possibly a lighter touch to the ejector pins.
It shot very well before when it was chewing up the brass, I would like to donate my brass to my friend for reloads but I cannot do that if they are mangled like Obama’s immigration ideals. I have not found the time to go shooting yet to verify the fix first hand.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadeogray/sets/72157655685084415

Also the firing pin that showed signs of chattering wear from what ever was the issue with the old bolt was not replaced. I contacted DPMS and they are sending me a new one.
I showed my wife the pics on the above link. All she said was OMG, you need a manicure...
:eek2: :nono2: :slap:

Latest posts

Top Bottom