Drop-Free magazine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always been confused by this term. Which is the correct definition? Remember there are no dumb questions............

A. It drops free of the gun when the magazine release is depressed

B. It doesn't drop (aka drop proof) from the gun when the magazine release is depressed.

Thanks for clearing this up

BC

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The answer is A.
I have magazines for my Glock 19 that are not drop-free, and you have to pull them out of the magazine well. It's not hard to do, but with the drop-free mags, they, like the name implies, just drop free.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
George Carlin used to say that when drunk, one's standards change. Example: <puking voice> "I don't care about my shooes . . ."

Similarly, in an extended social encounter, one will worry later (hopefully) about where the empty mag went when you dropped it and put in a full one.

The down side of a "drop free" mag is that if one accidentally hits the release, mag and remaining bullets are on the ground. This caused the Soviets so much trouble with their Tokarevs that the requirements for a replacement (The new pistol they selected was Makarov's design) has the release in the heel and you have to extract the empty mag manually.

With practice one can perform this operation about as fast as with a conventional mag release. Check the Walther P-38 design.

:musketeers: This design difference has been controversial for decades . . . CB

xrd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When Gaston Glock came up with the design in '86 he did it via what the Austrian Army wanted and the rest is history. They required the magazine to not drop free. The halfmoon curves at the front an back of the magazine well is for the thumb and finger to pull the mag out.

Ah, Glock trivia for a thousand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom