Drug dogs in school parking lots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are discussing teens and public schools. Everything you said after that point is irrelevant to the conversation.

Your link is titled "Landmark Supreme Court Decisions About Teens," and all of those cases involve minors. You get thread grades of D- in reading comprehension, F in Constitutional Law, and F in Oklahoma Criminal Procedure.

As far as the K9 thing goes, in the US legal system, if a drug dog alerts on your car, that can constitute probable cause to allow a search or impoundment of the vehicle under the motor vehicle exigency exception to the Constitution. However, mere refusal of consent for a search, or any other assertion of a person's Constitutionally-protected rights, can never be the basis for probable cause for a search or seizure, as some in this thread are saying.

For an adult who is not a student at an elementary or secondary school, both of these things are true whether your vehicle is on the grounds of an educational institution (no matter what kind) or not.

If some blowhard State employee threatens to have you arrested for refusing consent to search, feel free to tell him to get bent.

Oh, and I wish I was kidding about the "exception to the Constitution" thing. You can thank the War on Some Drugs for that.

I agree with Dutch's sentiment... the clearest solution to the kind of problems posed by the OP is to not put your children in the hands of the State in the first place. I know I sure as hell never will. Market alternatives are getting better and better, especially with online based learning.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Children are NOT your property, you do NOT own them, they are not exclusively yours. Children are the responsibility of the collection, society as a whole

extreme sarcasm intended.

Yes, owned by the collective. The mother is merely the carrier of the child until it is born and becomes the property of the state

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On Thursday, Duren-Sanner, a senior at Northeast High School drove his father's car to school. During a random lockdown, his car was chosen to be searched.

Duren-Sanner gave permission because he said he had nothing to hide.

His father is a commercial fisherman on the West Coast and had apparently left a fishing knife in the car. Duren-Sanner's father said it might have been wedged between one of the seats.

Duren-Sanner said he told school officials and the Sheriff's department the car was his father's and he didn't know the knife was in it.

"He's like 'it doesn't matter it was in your possession anyway,'" Duren-Sanner said.

School officials suspended him for 10 days, the maximum allowed under school policy, and then he was reprimanded to attend 90 days at an alternative school.

Peggy Duren is Duren-Sanner's grandmother whom he lives with. She said she tried explaining the knife didn't belong to her grandson, but claims school officials wouldn't listen.

"Unfortunately (the vice principal) said that's the way it is now: Guilty until proven innocent. It's part of this zero tolerance policy," she said."

Duren-Sanner has an appeal hearing on Wednesday with the school board.

If his punishment is upheld, Duren-Sanner will not be able to attend prom, his JROTC ball or walk at graduation. His family said it's unclear whether he'll be able to graduate at all.

Duren said her grandson has a 3.0 grade point average, is on the honor roll and he has never even been sent to the principal's office She said scholarship applications have stopped since it is unclear what her grandson's future is.

Duren-Sanner also faces weapons charges with the Montgomery County Sheriff's Department.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/24811452/clarksville-student-suspended-for-knife-in-fathers-car

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The suspension will probably stand, but the criminal case will be a more dubious proposition. This kind of statute pretty much always requires that the weapon be knowingly possessed.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock after reading all your posts it is obvious I have forgotten more about student rights that you sir will ever know. I stand by EVERY statement as 36 yrs of experience has served me well in the area. All you bring to the table is hoof and mouth disease. During those 36 yrs I NEVER had a single suspension of a student overturned. To the contrary one of my cases that went to district court in Osage County was up held by that court and set the presidence for schools today exercising their authority outside the school setting for suspension of students actions against teachers. My proof is in MY pudding sir. What you bring to the table is emotion and misguided thinking. That stuff is fallacy in its purist form.
You remind me of a few students I had over the years that were non conformists to the public school setting. Most of them while zealots in their thinking yet seldom were they ever contributors to a positive school setting. I always felt sorry for them because they made their own bed and had to sleep in it.

Glock I wish you nothing but the best. That said please do some research before attacking people with emotion rather than education and experience. I sir possess both. I made a difference in student lives at all education levels for 36 yrs. My reputation in the public school setting proves that.

Now what has not, up to now been discussed is what does school suspension mean? Every student with a suspension equal to or in excess of 10 school days has the right to spend it in an state approved In School Suspension program. This provides the district and the student to continue their education while serving their suspension. This setting has criteria that must meet state mandates. Many, many students with semester and or semester plus additional time have completed their education and graduated while completing this time. That is in fact, the impetus for placing students under suspension in such a setting. They need and the law requires a setting for them to continue their education. I cannot recall a student that was placed under an extended suspension refusing IHS. Im sure some have but not under my watch. Some did not complete it successfully but all were offered and accepted it in the beginning.

Oh Glock it is Principal not principle!

And it's precedent not "presidence."

And it's I'm not "Im."

And I won't even try to get into your comma usage.

(I figured since you were correcting grammar, you'd want to be reminded of your own errors. )

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And it's precedent not "presidence."

And it's I'm not "Im."

And I won't even try to get into your comma usage.

(I figured since you were correcting grammar, you'd want to be reminded of your own errors. )

I do appreciate the help!! Not too proud to admit it. Have a great weekend sir.

Latest posts

Top Bottom