dry firing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dry firing helps develope trigger control and it smooths out the the working parts of your gun for a smoother trigger. With a recent center fire, I do not use snap caps. If you do decide to use snap caps, keep in mind you can wear one out pretty quick.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in complete disagreement. Dry firing is a VERY important regimen for top shooters. It builds muscle memory and trains against flinching. It's free and it doesn't require a trip to the range. You should dry fire at least double or triple the amount you live fire. Many top shooters do it 30 minuets a day or more (includes draw strokes, target transitions & reload practice).

When dry firing a revolver, I just use empty cases with the spent primer in place. It cushions the firing pin fall somewhat. I've literally done it thousands of times with my Model 19 & 686, with no ill effects.

Yep. I have a horrid flinch, always have had and I suspect I always will. If I do not dryfire regularly I cannot control it.

I cannot imagine how much ammo we would have to go through if dryfiring didn't work ... :disappoin:violin:

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in complete disagreement. Dry firing is a VERY important regimen for top shooters. It builds muscle memory and trains against flinching. It's free and it doesn't require a trip to the range. You should dry fire at least double or triple the amount you live fire. Many top shooters do it 30 minutes a day or more (includes draw strokes, target transitions & reload practice).

When dry firing a revolver, I just use empty cases with the spent primer in place. It cushions the firing pin fall somewhat. I've literally done it thousands of times with my Model 19 & 686, with no ill effects.

YES!!!

Dry firing helps develope trigger control and it smooths out the the working parts of your gun for a smoother trigger. With a recent center fire, I do not use snap caps. If you do decide to use snap caps, keep in mind you can wear one out pretty quick.

and...YES!!!

Dry firing is a great way to practice.

I like to shoot at people on TV to practice target aquisition and trigger control. It's fun, because they won't stand still.

I know it's been mentioned already, but ALWAYS MAKE SURE IT'S UNLOADED!

I don't think we can ever emphasize that enough.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
While many people advocate dry firing I am for all purposes opposed to it. You can only simulate the expereience with real firing. I have however used 22 conversion units on a few of my semi auto's and regularly use an old K-22 or newer S&W 617 to get some quality trigger time.

Tony, with the utmost of respect, I not only disagree with you, I think youre wrong.

The ONLY thing dryfiring does not do that live firing does is practicing recoil control.

And seeing as how many folks still shoot weaver, apparently, its not very important..:burnout:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tempting to use empty cases... if dry firing doesn't damage your center fire revolver. wouldn't using empties add confusion factor.

currently I'll open cylinder up, work ejector just to double check. then check again.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, dry-firing can and will hurt certain guns. FNP had for a long time issues when you would dry fire without mags inserting in the guns. It would cause stress on the trigger housing, breaking it. I know this because I had one do it, as have several other people (both with mag inserted and not).

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I always use snap caps. I've had many tell me I don't need to, but I'm not comfortable without using them.

Plus, by loading the snap caps, I have no choice but to make sure there is no live ammo in there. So I figure that's a plus right there. I'm a big safety freak.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was an extensive article with a lot of testing done by American Hunter & American Rifleman magazine last year. As I remember it was just for the rimfires. They did an extensive examination of several models, including the S&W with the S&W cautions, dry fired several thousand times and then did another extensive examination. The exams were under microscope. The conclusion was that there is no appreciable damage to the rimfires.

I thought the article interesting because I was brought up to never dry fire. I dry fire my semi-auto pisols all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom