dry firing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockoutmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday there was a revolver thread that said that dry-firing would help with practice. I have always heard that dry firing is BAD. Is it bad or is this ok? Why is it good or bad?
Thanks in advance,
the Lockoutmonkey

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday there was a revolver thread that said that dry-firing would help with practice. I have always heard that dry firing is BAD. Is it bad or is this ok? Why is it good or bad?
Thanks in advance,
the Lockoutmonkey

You are OK dryfiring "modern" handguns. I would sicourage it with older firearms and especially any revolver with the firing pin on the hammer.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You can dry fire with older guns if you use snap caps. They are basically dummy rounds with something in place of the primer that will absorb the firing pin's energy. This prevents damage to the firing pin.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dry firing practice is fine with any centerfire firearm. Some folks use snapcaps, some don't. What you want to stay away from is rimfire firearms dryfiring due to where the firing pin/striker makes contact with rim of the chamber. This will damage the firearm.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It goes without saying but I say it anyway. Make CETAIN you are unloded and then check again. Move all live ammo to another room and close the door before you dry fire. Put up a specific "target and take it down immediately upon concluding your dry fire excersize and before reloading your weapon. Once the primer is struck a round can not be recalled!

Saur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dry firing practice is fine with any centerfire firearm. Some folks use snapcaps, some don't. What you want to stay away from is rimfire firearms dryfiring due to where the firing pin/striker makes contact with rim of the chamber. This will damage the firearm.

This man speaketh wisdom

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It goes without saying but I say it anyway. Make CETAIN you are unloded and then check again. Move all live ammo to another room and close the door before you dry fire. Put up a specific "target and take it down immediately upon concluding your dry fire excersize and before reloading your weapon. Once the primer is struck a round can not be recalled!

No kidding. Sometimes the brain disconnects and negligence happens.

"I was vacuuming and accidentally bumped the table causing my XD to fall off and discharge." :D

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Directly from the S&W website

Q: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 17, 43, 63, 317 and 617 also should not be dry fired.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While many people advocate dry firing I am for all purposes opposed to it. You can only simulate the expereience with real firing. I have however used 22 conversion units on a few of my semi auto's and regularly use an old K-22 or newer S&W 617 to get some quality trigger time.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While many people advocate dry firing I am for all purposes opposed to it. You can only simulate the expereience with real firing. I have however used 22 conversion units on a few of my semi auto's and regularly use an old K-22 or newer S&W 617 to get some quality trigger time.

I am in complete disagreement. Dry firing is a VERY important regimen for top shooters. It builds muscle memory and trains against flinching. It's free and it doesn't require a trip to the range. You should dry fire at least double or triple the amount you live fire. Many top shooters do it 30 minutes a day or more (includes draw strokes, target transitions & reload practice).

When dry firing a revolver, I just use empty cases with the spent primer in place. It cushions the firing pin fall somewhat. I've literally done it thousands of times with my Model 19 & 686, with no ill effects.

Latest posts

Top Bottom