dry firing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont own a snap cap, never have. I dry fire hundreds, if not thousands, of times a week. I have never had any breakage due to this, and dont figure I ever will. hat being said, I dont own junk.

There are certain designs, such as the CZ pistols, KelTecs, etc, that can be damaged from dry firing. I dont own such things.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tempting to use empty cases... if dry firing doesn't damage your center fire revolver. wouldn't using empties add confusion factor.
currently I'll open cylinder up, work ejector just to double check. then check again.

Shooting a revolver in competition is extremely challenging. You have no extra shots 90% of the time and you will have to reload on 95% of the stages on the clock. The revolver dry fire regimen spends as much or more time on the reload as the dry firing itself.

I start with 6 empties in the gun, and three reloads of hand made dummy cartridges containing actual match bullets and spent primers seated in the cases. NO LIVE AMMO IN THE ROOM WHERE I DRY FIRE PRACTICE.

On the random timer beep, draw and dry fire once each on three target spots (transition practice), perform a reload from the belt and dry fire three more times, all before the 2nd beep. When in top form, my par times for this drill will run under 4.5 seconds. Another drill specifically for the reload is to hit the timer (on random) and draw and dry fire once on target spot, then hold the trigger back. When the timer beeps, do a reload and dry fire once more before the 2nd beep. Under 2.5 seconds consistently is my goal for this drill.

Without the empties and dummy reloads, these drills would be meaningless.

Latest posts

Top Bottom