E-tank manual charger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you guys ever converted a PC power supply into a manual charger to power an e-tank? I have found some videos online but some say one way and others say different. I am really wanting to build a tank for cleaning rusty cast iron skillets, tools, guns, etc, but will not until I can be sure of doing it without burning the house down.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all just depends on what voltage and amperage you need. For the most part a PSU has two voltages, 5v and 12v, with both a + and - rail for each. PSU's will also have different rails for the 12v side so 1 or 2 devices won't tie up all the amperage available to that rail. This would be why they have different ways, it all depends on the PSU. I don't know how to do the conversion, but hope that helps explain PSU's a bit.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all just depends on what voltage and amperage you need. For the most part a PSU has two voltages, 5v and 12v, with both a + and - rail for each. PSU's will also have different rails for the 12v side so 1 or 2 devices won't tie up all the amperage available to that rail. This would be why they have different ways, it all depends on the PSU. I don't know how to do the conversion, but hope that helps explain PSU's a bit.

Yep I understand all that. I was an electrician 40 years ago. I am need the 12v side but the videos I have seen show different ways to get there. I was hoping somebody had done it successfully and could talk me thru it.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I understand all that. I was an electrician 40 years ago. I am need the 12v side but the videos I have seen show different ways to get there. I was hoping somebody had done it successfully and could talk me thru it.

Thats because there a lot of different ways to get there. Basically any yellow wire coming out of the PSU is +12v. You will need to wire a STSP switch to the PS-ON wire and its adjacent ground (on 20 pin connectors its pin 14 & 15, on 24 pin connectors its 16 & 17) or just bridge them if the PSU has a rear on/off switch. Other than that, just cut off one of the yellow leads that goes to a set of molex connectors along with the ground next to it and you have your +12v and ground. For max amperage just make sure to get a PSU with a single +12v rail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom