EDC reloads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a reliable source of info regarding Reloads/remanufactured ammo vs factory loads in Self-Defense applications? I Googled TF out of that and couldn't find anything. Something with a case study or something, not an article by a couple dudes who have written the same things for 50 yrs.

I will continue searching for something academic or legal.

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
U.C. Berkeley did a big study on this very thing, and their finding was under no circumstance should reloads be used for self defence. The study went on to say that no ammunition should be used in self defence nor should any firearm or impact weapon, knife, or anything. It went on to say don't look your assailant in the eye and just do exactly as they say and you might be fine. It might not be exactly what your looking for, but it was a scholarly paper written about reloads!

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a reliable source of info regarding Reloads/remanufactured ammo vs factory loads in Self-Defense applications? I Googled TF out of that and couldn't find anything. Something with a case study or something, not an article by a couple dudes who have written the same things for 50 yrs.

I will continue searching for something academic or legal.

GSR is also used to determine the distance the shot was fired from etc, for example, in the Zimmerman trial. Here's Mas used to answer your very question. NH V Kennedy and NJ V Bias. Are legal concerns over carrying handloads trivial? Easy to determine and use when using factory ammo with known controlled specs, etc. While the Harold Fish trial did not proceed due to him using reloads, the prosecutor did go after him for using a 10mm, basically stating that only a blood thirsty killer or a person wanting to kill someone would use such a powerful cartridge. Overzealous DA wanting to make a name for himself. Three years and a half million dollars later, he was free.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Ya, ok.
So far, all I have found on the subject is:
Opinion
Speculation
Assumption
Subjectivity
Hyperbole
Parables
Hypotheticals
Conjecture
Rhetoric
Gaslighting

What's missing? Facts. Objectivity. Case Studies. Zero academic writing. Zero actual cases of a prosecution for using handloads/reloads. Zero laws or rules governing reloads in any use. Nothing. Just the above listed points. I am still looking though.

That is not to say I don't carry factory ammo. I carry the most effective FLEA 9ball in all my 9s. It's expensive too but it's effective. I only carry 230gr factory ball in my .45...no HP or fanciness. It's equalized situations for over 100yrs and is cheap, accurate, and effective. But I will use whatever is at hand as long as it's legal, and reloads are legal.

That's also why we have lawyers and the right to STFU. All these "scenarios" written include some dummy who doesn't know how to use a lawyer and the 5A.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One, accuracy is not the name of the game in an SD shooting. Speed trumps accuracy. You only need to be able to shoot minute of man. This is life or death, split second stuff, not bullseye shooting. Second, for liability reasons you do not want to carry reloads. Factory ammo only, preferably something your local or well-known dept carries, as the stopping power, lethality, over-penetration, dry-wall penetration ettc have all been researched by them or someone else. If the round you were shooting is considered to lethal, or a liability, it falls on the mfr, not you. If you are involved in a SD shooting using reloads, the DA may charge you as it could look premeditated, a prosecutor could rake you over the coals saying you were running reloads to be more lethal. Do a quick google search, and you should find stuff from guys like Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith, etc reiterating this stuff.
Speed almost never trumps accuracy. You can’t miss fast enough to win.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speed almost never trumps accuracy. You can’t miss fast enough to win.

Lets say its a balance, you need to shoot accurate enough, but faster than the other guy. I think I elaborated on that a little but, but it could be inferred. You're arguing semantics here. You obviously cant fire millisecond splits into the ground or groupings as big as a hula hoop and win a gun fight, but we aren't shooting bullseye or precision in a defensive shooting. A 3in group with 5 rounds sub 2 second is better than a 1in group sub 5 second. I don't have to have cloverleaf groupings or holes touching. Thats why when reviewing pistols, most say the accuracy is "good enough".

Latest posts

Top Bottom