EDC reloads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Prosecutor will throw everything at the wall hoping that something sticks. You will never know what makes a juror believe you are innocent or guilty, it might be your internet searches, your book collection, your dvd collection, your gun collection or maybe what was in your gun collection or maybe that you used reloads rather than factory, you never know. In the Rittenhouse trial, Rittenhouse's use of FMJ ammo was brought up by the Prosecutor as being more dangerous than HP ammo. Prosecutors and defense attorneys at trial will both weave stories with perceived facts intermingled in their stories, the one with the best story usually wins.

So you have a better understanding I would suggest watching some trials, preferably with ongoing commentary from lawyers. Rekieta Law on You Tube is pretty good, I've watched the Rittenhouse, Edgecomb, Potter and Reeves trials on Rekieta Law, they were very informative.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's missing? Facts. Objectivity. Case Studies. Zero academic writing. Zero actual cases of a prosecution for using handloads/reloads. Zero laws or rules governing reloads in any use. Nothing. Just the above listed points. I am still looking though.

That is not to say I don't carry factory ammo. I carry the most effective FLEA 9ball in all my 9s. It's expensive too but it's effective. I only carry 230gr factory ball in my .45...no HP or fanciness. It's equalized situations for over 100yrs and is cheap, accurate, and effective. But I will use whatever's is at hand as long as it's legal, and reloads are legal.

That's also why we have lawyers and the right to STFU. All these "scenarios" written include some dummy who doesn't know how to use a lawyer and the 5A.

I gave you an attorneys opinion and mentioned where handloads have at the very least caused issues with the defense (NH V Bias, TN V Barnes), and 1 where the prosecutor flat said "factory ammo wasnt deadly enough for the defendant (SD shooter)" NJ V Kennedy

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I gave you an attorneys opinion and mentioned where handloads have at the very least caused issues with the defense (NH V Bias, TN V Barnes), and 1 where the prosecutor flat said "factory ammo wasnt deadly enough for the defendant (SD shooter)" NJ V Kennedy
On a forum, which was full of all the points I listed including his yap about Bias. Wikipedia is a more reliable source than a forum.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
U.C. Berkeley did a big study on this very thing, and their finding was under no circumstance should reloads be used for self defence. The study went on to say that no ammunition should be used in self defence nor should any firearm or impact weapon, knife, or anything. It went on to say don't look your assailant in the eye and just do exactly as they say and you might be fine. It might not be exactly what your looking for, but it was a scholarly paper written about reloads!
Link?

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry reloads in my ranch EDC pistol, mostly because it is far less expensive to shoot a snake, armadillo, skunk etc... with a handload, than it is a $1.50/pop defensive round. I think my last 4-5 rounds in my magazine are factory HST though 🤔.

Anyway, I just load to book max and roll from there.

I still carry factory rounds for self-defense when I'm off the ranch. Regardless of what anyone's opinion is...it certainly removes a layer of potential BS that you *might* have to deal with. None of us is a DA, and therefore your opinions on any given day might not match theirs. Multiply that x100 if they are a liberal or trying to make a name for themselves for office.

Latest posts

Top Bottom