Edger sputters o

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a 4cyl edger used. Plug was nasty so I replaced. Cleaned plug cover and carb. Engine still sputters. Any ideas?
A 4 cylinder should edge the crap of things once you get it running, lol.

I don't have great luck with cleaning old carbs on these little motors when fuels dried in them. You can often get cheap Chinese replacements that work better than expected.

Good luck!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a 4cyl edger used. Plug was nasty so I replaced. Cleaned plug cover and carb. Engine still sputters. Any ideas?

I bought a 4 cycle weedeater from a garage sale. The guy said wouldn’t run good. Come to find out he ran premix gas in it like his old weedeater used. Ended up having to tear it apart and clean the valves. You may get away with a new plug and run the **** out of it wide open to break the carbon off the valve seats.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As stated above, put in new fuel lines, siphon the old gas out, and buy an new carburetor. Sounds like its sucking air from somewhere, or water in the gas. Would have to see your carburetor, but if its a 2-cycle style, then the metering diaphragm has probably harden, and will need to be replaced.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might check out Chickanic’s YouTube channel; she shows how to do a lot of small engine repairs. One thing she has shown multiple times is if a small engine has sat for a long time, the diaphragms in the carb will stiffen up, and sometimes just sitting there repeatedly revving it up and down for a few minutes will get them to loosen up and start working again.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing that has helped is that if it has a metal mesh screen on the exhaust muffler, make sure to clean it up. You can remove, place it in a vice and use a steel brush to remove rust and carbon.
This more applies to two stroke engines, but could be an issue on an older four stroke.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, get a carb rebuild kit and overhaul the carb. It's a lot simpler to fix a 4-cycle engine than it is to fix a 2-cycle.

Someone likely ran 2-cycle mix through it. Usually not much of a problem. But if it set for a while with that fuel in it, it likely has the carb all gummed up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom