End of a generation. Self sufficient.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My very good friend and neighbor passed last Friday, I was away on business Thursday and when I got up Friday am I walked next door to take him his morning paper like I do every morning when I am home. Saw Friday and Thursday paper still in the driveway. Big red flag. Knocked and no answer so I went back next door to my house and got his key. I found him on his bedroom floor unconscious but breathing. Called 911 and assisted the paramedics then left voicemails for his family.

Well he passed later that day. Been an amazing friend and been as good to me as I was to him, fellow veteran and reminded me of my grandfather as he fixed everything and never threw useful stuff away. For the last 4-5 years he has still gotten around but his ability was diminished when it comes to certain things. I’ve cut his grass for about 4 years and helped fo the maintenance when I could. Changed the radiator, house filters etc. never asked or accepted anything just what I do for a friend.

Well to get yo it, he was the most organized hoarder on the planet. Everything was neat and tidy, his family offered me something of his from his shop where we spent tons of time together so I asked to buy the drill press/grinder table, it’s an absolute symbol of who he was. It’s a recliner bottom the swivels, drill pipe, 15 inch Buick wheel. You put it facing you in a corner, if you need the other device, you pull a pin and rotate it 280 degrees. He built this and that’s why I wanted it. I appreciate that kind of problem solving,

Anyway I’ll digress. Glad I have this amazing piece of scrap metal that he made into something amazing,

Rest in Peace Mr. Bill. 90 years was a good run, and I am thankful I was blessed to call you my friend.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.mov
    16.4 MB

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_0038.png

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Posted a pic in case the video doesn’t work, think it’s clear the top rotates 180 and is pinned in place for grinding or drilling. He made it as a space saver, either could face his work bench as needed.

Anyhow I hope my generation and many more will appreciate this type of people. Problem solvers. Made it didn’t buy it.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rest in Peace Mr. Bill. 90 years was a good run, and I am thankful I was blessed to call you my friend.

OHHH Nooo!

Sorry, just had to! I've had friends like this and it never gets any easier. One of my prized possessions is a 9X13 Pyrex baking pan....it always came to me full of home made lasagna, except for the last time. Just don't have it in me to use it because it'll never get any better than it was in the past.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lost my father in law recently. He was a backyard engineer also. As an educated design engineer I always appreciated his creativity. He could fix anything.

I had him speak to my engineering students when I still taught. I wanted them to understand a college education wasn’t the only way to become ‘smart’ and they could learn from anyone and everyone.

Sounds just like your neighbor.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OHHH Nooo!

Sorry, just had to! I've had friends like this and it never gets any easier. One of my prized possessions is a 9X13 Pyrex baking pan....it always came to me full of home made lasagna, except for the last time. Just don't have it in me to use it because it'll never get any better than it was in the past.

Nice. Bills family was going thru the house, I picked the dishes I’d left full that he had washed to return and let them know the other empty dishes came from the neighbors to the north. He didn’t cook good do we all dropped by dishes of basically left overs. He was always excited and always returned the dishes spotless. Very humble and appreciative.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lost my father in law recently. He was a backyard engineer also. As an educated design engineer I always appreciated his creativity. He could fix anything.

I had him speak to my engineering students when I still taught. I wanted them to understand a college education wasn’t the only way to become ‘smart’ and they could learn from anyone and everyone.

Sounds just like your neighbor.
My grandfather taught me, Bill was the same. He just fixed stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom