Engine question for gear heads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course its possible, but why? Jeeps are probably the most common vehicles for engine swaps but most people stick with swaps that involve chevy engines, some ford and some chrysler engines. These are the cheapest, easiest and power gains can be significant or at least sufficient. The most common are the chevy engines, particularly the SBC platform, and the last few years even the LS based engines. Things to consider are wiring, all the plumbing (fuel, cooling system etc) Transmission, T-case, driveshafts, adapters, brackets. I dont think I would consider using a toyota powertrain but its by far not impossible. A bonus would be to have a toyota engine, transmission and transfer case that can all be used and transplanted into the Jeep/

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything is possible in a CJ
But a Yota motor in one would just be a waist!
Like stated above an SBC is the only way to fly in a Jeep. The newest, easiest and best swap now is the 5.3 or 6.0
Super simple swap, more than plenty of power for a CJ and reliable as it gets.
Now I'm never against doing something just cause "you like it" or to be "different" but there is nothing good /better about a Yota 6. Unless you just happen to have a CJ/YJ that needs a motor and you just happen to have a Yota 6 laying around then what's the point?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you should ask this question. My neighbor just completed a ground-up rebuild of a 1980 Jeep CJ, and he used a SBC with a TH400. He said the engine installation wasn't bad, but the worst part was the wiring.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had toyotas all my life my current one has 390,000 miles on it with general maintenance, I have never had a problem with one its really just a comfort zone issue, I'm also considering a 1978 land cruiser for the project.

Latest posts

Top Bottom