Everyone needs to pay their fair share

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is forgotten here is the corporate tax. They are taxed at 15% because the income is dividends or capital gains not wages. But that income was already taxed at the corporate level before it was distributed at a rate around 35%. Add that in and they are not paying less than any of their secretaries.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The best solution: No Taxes.

Then citizen and business have the exact same amount stolen from them. Everything is fair and equitable. And we all live happinly ever after and can put that money to good use (buying food, clothing and shelter comes to mind).

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The best solution: No Taxes.

Then citizen and business have the exact same amount stolen from them. Everything is fair and equitable. And we all live happinly ever after and can put that money to good use (buying food, clothing and shelter comes to mind).

i could afford to move out, and still go to school if the gubberment would just stop stealing its $200+ cut from my check each week.

hell, i'll do one better, if along with that, they did not tax the hell out of land and contractors; i could probably use that money to gave a new small home built for me to live on.

then i would be a land and home owner, i would be independent, AND someone would have sold a house, built a house, and financed the loan that made it possible. sounds like tons of jobs, and a better quality of life for me. hell, i might even get a girlfriend with that added bit of confidence knowing that when the conversation starts up, i wouldn't have to say i'm a 24 year old living at home with mommy and daddy.

obviously the government needs money to exist and do the useful things like... protect us..... but i doubt they need as much as they are getting. and i still conject that their current tax codes and b/s spending are crippling the economy and are at least part of the reason every job that has the slightest ability to escape this soil and go turn profit elsewhere, does so.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the only fair and equitable means of funding "essential" government functions is a sales tax. It's fair in that it is 100% voluntary and noncoercive.

And a sales tax enables the collection of taxes from people who do not usually pay income taxes - illegal aliens, drug pushers and other criminals.

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really don't understand why everyone is upset over federal income taxes. It's but a piece of the tax pie of the total taxes we pay. Everyone needs to do a little research as to how their tax pie is made up. I believe that most Americans have little or no idea as to just how much they are paying in total taxation. If they did we would surely do more than just rant about about federal income taxes. Some people would like a flat tax and I'm all for that but instead of just covering the federal side what if we paid something like a flat 30% to a central tax bureau and then let them divide it up between the federal, state, county, and city governments. No more hidden taxes on anything, period. All they get is 30% and no more. It would mean several thousand more in my pocket and everyone elses to spend on goods or services or whatever we want. I for one am sick and tired of every single dollar I earn being taxed several times over. If ever the masses get tire of it maybe things will change. Until that happens I guess we just keep plodding along paying every Tom. Dick. and Harry politition that figures out a new way to tap our pocket books.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really don't understand why everyone is upset over federal income taxes. It's but a piece of the tax pie of the total taxes we pay. Everyone needs to do a little research as to how their tax pie is made up. I believe that most Americans have little or no idea as to just how much they are paying in total taxation. If they did we would surely do more than just rant about about federal income taxes. Some people would like a flat tax and I'm all for that but instead of just covering the federal side what if we paid something like a flat 30% to a central tax bureau and then let them divide it up between the federal, state, county, and city governments. No more hidden taxes on anything, period. All they get is 30% and no more. It would mean several thousand more in my pocket and everyone elses to spend on goods or services or whatever we want. I for one am sick and tired of every single dollar I earn being taxed several times over. If ever the masses get tire of it maybe things will change. Until that happens I guess we just keep plodding along paying every Tom. Dick. and Harry politition that figures out a new way to tap our pocket books.

Not being argumentative, but what benefit does this have over a strict sales tax?

Your solution still allows people to work "under the table" and pay no taxes.
It still allows loopholes to be passed for those who are under a certain income level to not have to pay anything.
It keeps the IRS in business, enforcing the payment of taxes and refunds, as there would surely be "deductions" to help allow people to reduce their tax.
It makes for infighting in the various areas of government - city, county, state, national. How do you distribute it? Each area of the country has a different cost of living, so simply dividing it up by population won't work... has to be adjusted by area.

I say do away with it all, go to a sales tax on end-purchases only. And let each state, county, and municipality set it's own rate. Then, when Kommiefornia sets their rate at 39% and more sensible, less over-bloated states like ours set the rate at 23%, people in those high-cost areas can decide for themselves if they want to continue to pay ridiculous amounts to live there, or move somewhere more sensible.

Probably some flaws in there, but I think that's a good start.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't run the numbers for you but try this exercise.

Add up what you pay in income tax to the state and feds (what you pay not what is withheld - ex: $12,000 is withheld - you get back $3000 - you paid $9000). Then capital gains, property tax, sales tax, exise taxes (phone, buying tires etc), gasoline tax, car tags, any government fees and others I may have missed. That's how much government at various levels is taking from you every year.

Figure the total number as a percentage of your income. If that don't put yur panties in a wad nothing will.

My number comes out to about 42%.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't run the numbers for you but try this exercise.

Add up what you pay in income tax to the state and feds (what you pay not what is withheld - ex: $12,000 is withheld - you get back $3000 - you paid $9000). Then capital gains, property tax, sales tax, exise taxes (phone, buying tires etc), gasoline tax, car tags, any government fees and others I may have missed. That's how much government at various levels is taking from you every year.

Figure the total number as a percentage of your income. If that don't put yur panties in a wad nothing will.

My number comes out to about 42%.

I'm well aware of that. And mine is probably a bit higher than that. This was discussed recently in another thread. It's criminal, but let's face it. There is nothing we can do about it now except vote out the people who think it's right for the .gov to take ~50% or more of every dollar made and spent in this country. And sadly, I don't think the American people (as a whole nation) have the guts to do that, anymore. I honestly think we're doomed, though I hope and pray we're not.

You know what they say... plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom