Executive Orders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Last I checked, signing a loan agreement does not include planning for possible pandemics. I'm talking about the benefit of CURRENT students, not people who already graduated and went on to their jobs. I'm looking at the students who are having issues because their classes went online and there's already articles showing that a good chunk of students are suffering academically because of it. If they fail, they have to retake the class. Which means more debt for them. Why? Because they have trouble learning everything online, they have crappy internet at home, they don't have a PC/internet, etc, etc. Sure, I heard one college left their WiFi on so students without internet could go do their work in the parking lot, but what if they don't have a laptop? I suppose they have to go read entire lectures and take exams on their phones? Assuming they have a smart phone. There's reasons people want classes that're on campus only. Why should they get punished for something out of their control?

I never said it should be erased, but what's the harm in freezing it for a short period of time? Does it raise your taxes? Deduct from your wages? A year (or whatever total) break for a world-wide pandemic isn't hurting anyone.

I simply asked for your reason. I agree that online education isn’t great. I doubt too many college students don’t have a laptop and access to the internet though. Maybe not.
My comments were regarding those who have agreed to take on student loans but don’t want to pay them back. Dr Jill got her degree online so I guess she had a laptop, internet access, and could comprehend the instructor ok. Have you had to incur more debt due to online classes or poor internet access? Do you know anyone who has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I whole-heartedly feel there needs to be more help for current students. Especially when I see multiple articles of students having trouble for one reason or another since this started. Colleges make more than enough money to cut back and help the students out. I won't give out specifics, but I know of one professor in a certain class at a local college who flat out told their students how much money colleges make and get to pocket because they make soooooo much off the students. They, of course, asked to not tell anyone they said it so they didn't get reprimanded for sharing the info...this did get a laugh from the entire class!
Exactly. The colleges get all the cash, the financial institutions get the risk and the students get the burden AND the risk. Obviously the financial institutions get profit if the risk doesn’t get out of hand.

Somehow I get the feeling that the “loan forgiveness” movement will wind up making the colleges richer, the financial institutions whole and the taxpayers stuck with the bill.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last I checked, signing a loan agreement does not include planning for possible pandemics. I'm talking about the benefit of CURRENT students, not people who already graduated and went on to their jobs. I'm looking at the students who are having issues because their classes went online and there's already articles showing that a good chunk of students are suffering academically because of it. If they fail, they have to retake the class. Which means more debt for them. Why? Because they have trouble learning everything online, they have crappy internet at home, they don't have a PC/internet, etc, etc. Sure, I heard one college left their WiFi on so students without internet could go do their work in the parking lot, but what if they don't have a laptop? I suppose they have to go read entire lectures and take exams on their phones? Assuming they have a smart phone. There's reasons people want classes that're on campus only. Why should they get punished for something out of their control?

I never said it should be erased, but what's the harm in freezing it for a short period of time? Does it raise your taxes? Deduct from your wages? A year (or whatever total) break for a world-wide pandemic isn't hurting anyone.
OMG............you can't be serious

Mr E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I simply asked for your reason. I agree that online education isn’t great. I doubt too many college students don’t have a laptop and access to the internet though. Maybe not.
My comments were regarding those who have agreed to take on student loans but don’t want to pay them back. Dr Jill got her degree online so I guess she had a laptop, internet access, and could comprehend the instructor ok. Have you had to incur more debt due to online classes or poor internet access? Do you know anyone who has?

I won't give out details about myself personally. That said, to your second question; Yes, I do. A good friend failed AP2 twice just last year and struggled so much they decided to switch majors. And I'd be willing to bet money they aren't the only one.

I also fail to see how using Mrs. Biden (not calling her Dr, she doesn't get my respect just for that) as an example negates the many other students who PAID to attend classes on campus because they learn better with person to person interaction.

Lastly, I already stated I NEVER said we should erase the debt... I said I was fine with the freeze, you even used that word yourself when you replied to me. So where did freezing become erasing in your head?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most colleges either require a laptop to enroll or provide one with enrollment.
College student debt is mostly from frivolous loans like for a new car that they don't need.

Mr E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Most colleges either require a laptop to enroll or provide one with enrollment.
College student debt is mostly from frivolous loans like for a new car that they don't need."
I didn't see that last part, so the poster must've removed it. I can name one college right now off the top of my head I know for a fact doesn't ask if you have a laptop OR provides one to those who don't.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you're seriously not about to spaz out because of a freeze on something that likely doesn't even affect you.
If a "freeze" increases the amount of delinquent loans, which seems to me it would,,,,,,,and/or creates more defaults...........then my friend it's going to affect all of us

Latest posts

Top Bottom