Face Mask, Now We Know

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something that I've wondered about on masks is how they effect the viral load of the wearer. On adults anyway it appears that the severity of the symptoms are correlated to the amount of viral load. Even the people that end up in serious condition presumably are asymptomatic at first right? So, is wearing the mask while covid positive not increasing the viral load you are exposed to? Seems like you would literally be huffing the virus. I tried to find some answers to this more toward the beginning, but haven't, admittedly, tried to research it since. Anyone else see anything informative from a potentially reliable source?

My mask policy has been to wear it for the benefit of others. Not to ACTUALLY protect them from the virus, but because it seems to give some a feeling they are safer. I think the safety of masks is just a marketing message given the way they are used. But, so far, I've viewed the annoyance on my part to be less than the 'feeling' of added safety on the other side.

Last edited:

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If in doubt how a mask can increase the viral load on someone wearing one, don't brush your teeth for a few days, put on a mask, and see how long it takes 'till you can't stand your own breath from re-breathing it ....

I brush my teeth twice or more a day and have only worn a mask for a total of about 15 or 20 hours since this fauxdemic was inflicted upon us, so I am only speaking anecdotally.

Ah, try this: Eat a raw onion, cup your hands in front of your mouth, exhale, and sniff. You'll understand.

Woody

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If in doubt how a mask can increase the viral load on someone wearing one, don't brush your teeth for a few days, put on a mask, and see how long it takes 'till you can't stand your own breath from re-breathing it ....

I brush my teeth twice or more a day and have only worn a mask for a total of about 15 or 20 hours since this fauxdemic was inflicted upon us, so I am only speaking anecdotally.

Ah, try this: Eat a raw onion, cup your hands in front of your mouth, exhale, and sniff. You'll understand.

Woody
You guys are now presenting empirical evidence that masks may help slow the spread of the virus from an infected but masked person. :D

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are now presenting empirical evidence that masks may help slow the spread of the virus from an infected but masked person. :D

And also hinting that wearing a mask increases the likelihood of a more serious case. Another good reason not to wear one....unless you're so community minded you don't mind taking it for the team.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And also hinting that wearing a mask increases the likelihood of a more serious case. Another good reason not to wear one....unless you're so community minded you don't mind taking it for the team.
It seems like some kind of balance would be the best approach. Social distance whenever possible and wear a mask only when in close proximity to others; get distance and the mask off as soon as practical.

I admit that my opinion on mask wearing is biased. Being retired, I spend much of the day outdoors, in my garage, or in the home with family and not wearing a mask. I can only imagine how tough it would be to wear a mask all day long.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like all the hospital surgeons and their surgical staff can stop wearing masks during an operation. OSA has determined that masks are useless.
No, i've heard it from several sources.
also heard a medical professional call in on a talk radio show yesturday and he was saying the same about the masks and covid. Said there was probably 90% of the people where he works who did not wear a mask at work...in a medical setting. And they have had no issues with sick personnell. I found that interesting.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How can that be as you have to wear one to enter a medical facility/doctors office and any government building. I guess if you or loved ones are retired and never need medical care or do any business and just stay in the basement it would be possible.

And I thought the women wore face coverings so they didn't get the men all horny.
No, you dont. I work in a government building and do not have to wear one.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? I’m not the one saying masks are ineffective. If that’s true, someone needs to inform the medical community.

Edit:

Why do surgeons and staff wear a mask during surgery?
They wear a clean one, one that gets tossed out after its use for that day or that surgery. Its also an M95 mask and not some joke of a cloth mask. It isnt touched once durring a procedure. Not once.
I bet people wearing masks today will touch it 500 times in a day after handling the cart at wal mart etc.
That is the difference to your idiotic strawman arguement.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They wear a clean one, one that gets tossed out after its use for that day or that surgery. Its also an M95 mask and not some joke of a cloth mask. It isnt touched once durring a procedure. Not once.
I bet people wearing masks today will touch it 500 times in a day after handling the cart at wal mart etc.
That is the difference to your idiotic strawman arguement.

You need to catch-up. It’s not that mask are ineffective. It’s people who are ineffective at wearing masks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom