favorite 9mm load using Unique and 115 gr jacketed bullet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, well I looked at my Lee manual and it listed a load for the 115gr jacketed bullet. Min 5.1gr and max 5.5gr of unique.

Thanks! I didn't have that recipe. I think that range is a little more reasonable than some other manuals. The Hornady seems very mild and the Alliant and Sierra seem very very hot. This one by Lee is right in the middle. (I better stop; this is starting to sound like a kid's bedtime story.)

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is because there are big differencs between recipes for the 115gr jacketed bullet among the reloading manuals........... I don't remember what that load was, but I'm thinking it's around 5.7 - 6.0 grs. I'll have to check my notes when I get home.

My 1971 Sierra manual shows 5.0 grains (1100 fps) to 7.0 grains (1350 fps) for a 115 grain jacketed bullet. Test gun was a Colt Govt. Model Mk IV 5" barrel.

Of course older manuals gave loads that much more powerful than todays wimpy loads. Many of todays supposed 357 magnum rounds are not even hot 38 specials of yesteryear. I guess that is what litigation does to manufactures, it scares the hell out of them.

tulsadave2003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use j/k bullets with 5.0 grains of Hodgdon Longshot and it is smokey and seems dirty, maybe that is just how reloads are, I just shot around 100 of them through my hi-point carbine (waiting on lone wolfe to come in) and they all went bang, but I would like a cleaner alternative, they didnt seem that "hot" to me, but I dont have anything to compare them too

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use j/k bullets with 5.0 grains of Hodgdon Longshot and it is smokey and seems dirty, maybe that is just how reloads are, I just shot around 100 of them through my hi-point carbine (waiting on lone wolfe to come in) and they all went bang, but I would like a cleaner alternative, they didnt seem that "hot" to me, but I dont have anything to compare them too

For 9mm, I consider Longshot to be in the "it will shoot, but..." category (too slow).
Try HP38 or Titegroup in 9mm in the Hodgdon line of powders for snappier loads and less charcoal.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Latest posts

Top Bottom