Favorite Aircraft of WWII

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. B-17 Flying Fortress
2. B-29 Super Fortress
3. C-47 ( Grandparents met at Douglas aircraft aka. Tinker AFB)
4. F4U Corsair
5. B-25 Mitchell
6. P-51 Mustang
7. FW-190
8. ME-109

Tinker AFB, was great, that brings to mind other stories, and I know you kids tire of it, but my mother's cousin was not fit for duty, physically but was very mechanically inclined in those days so he made the propellers for B 17's during the war at Tinker AFB. The cousin was so good he went on to restore really old antique cars for a well known man in SW OK. What I am sayin' is that they may not have served abroad but did their best here.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hands down the P-51 Mustang. 2nd would be the P-47 Thunderbolt. I love the sound of that rolls royce engine in the mustang and the toughness of the thunderbolt was unmatched. You could lose a wing and still fly back to base like nothing ever happened with the P-47. The P-51 was pure fighter, tight turns, long distance and could fight and beat anything tojo or hitler put up against it. My grandpa was in the 5th AAF in WWII and he said when they came around in 43-45 that they took aerial control for good in the pacific.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hands down the P-51 Mustang. 2nd would be the P-47 Thunderbolt. I love the sound of that rolls royce engine in the mustang and the toughness of the thunderbolt was unmatched. You could lose a wing and still fly back to base like nothing ever happened with the P-47. The P-51 was pure fighter, tight turns, long distance and could fight and beat anything tojo or hitler put up against it. My grandpa was in the 5th AAF in WWII and he said when they came around in 43-45 that they took aerial control for good in the pacific.

So great! Thanks, if I am not mistaken, one of those fighters was called the Tank Fighter? Or Killer/? just sayin'. Old neighbor flew the P51 at the end of the war, he was young and was lucky to get in to the thick of it. Love his old stories. Thanks, Lone Wolf

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Joke:

Q: What's better than a single P-51?
A: An F-82!

*rimshot*

www.strategic_air_command.com_aircraft_fighter_images_f_82_twin_mustang.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-82_Twin_Mustang

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So great! Thanks, if I am not mistaken, one of those fighters was called the Tank Fighter? Or Killer/? just sayin'. Old neighbor flew the P51 at the end of the war, he was young and was lucky to get in to the thick of it. Love his old stories. Thanks, Lone Wolf

Yes. One of the P-47 Thunderbolt's nicknames was the tank buster. It was like the A-10 warthog of WWII.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Mustang in the foreground belongs to my former neighbor (still lives next door to my ex). I just talked with him the other day and the V12 is being rebuilt at the moment. He's offered a few times to give me an up close tour of the plane. When it gets put back together, I plan to finally take him up on his offer since I've had a love affair with P-51s every since I could remember.

www.buzzincuzzin.org_wp_content_uploads_2010_03_scott_slocum_11.jpg

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't narrow it down to a favorite, or even favorites. There are just too many of them. Two that I really like, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, are the...

A-26 Invader

P-61 Black Widow

Latest posts

Top Bottom