Favorite "Form" of Prepping and Why ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This ^^^^^, except make sure you get the pipe sleeve/sock that goes over it and keeps dirt from gettingin the drain holes. I'm in the construction industry and this is exactly what all the landscape contractors do when they are planting high $$$$$$ trees. Helps the root system grow stronger and deeper. Typically they will put the drain pipe in before setting the tree in the hole and the pipe will be an "L" shape with the bottom of the L going directly under the root ball about 8-12" below.

I was having trouble visualizing what everyone was talking about until you posted ... (I'm remedial that way sometimes!) THANKS!!

My nanking cherries have buds! :woohoo1: I've sent in my soil samples, and I'm waiting for the results to come in. Hopefully I get something quickly... the apple trees will be here (and will have to go in the ground when they get here).

BB, the bucket with holes approach is one that my dad used with his pecan trees. I'm going to be doing it with my fruit trees.

You have nanking cherries:!?!?!? What do they taste like?!?! (sweet, tart, really like cherries or something else??) How tall do they get?? Are they finicky?? I want cherry trees but I don't want the bird fights that come with them. Have thought about nanking cherries but didn't know if they really tasted like cherries or were a poor substitute (you know how plant/seed/gardening catalogues are) ... Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks to keeping them alive and healthy!

Seriously. PM DeerSlayer on OSA. He only hangs out in the hunting/fishing forum. I got my soil analysis back today.
I planted some Cypris hybrid trees two years ago and kept them watered.
They died. I thought it was the drought, but it turned out they are an evergreen and need acid soil (that can be added easily). I was putting in water from our well that has a high PH.
They can't survive on that high of a PH.
Finally figured out why my garden hasn't produced in the last two years. I have a lot of work to do, getting the soil ammended.

Yep, DeerSlayer is the man!! :)

faerielady

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have nanking cherries:!?!?!? What do they taste like?!?! (sweet, tart, really like cherries or something else??) How tall do they get?? Are they finicky?? I want cherry trees but I don't want the bird fights that come with them. Have thought about nanking cherries but didn't know if they really tasted like cherries or were a poor substitute (you know how plant/seed/gardening catalogues are) ... Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks to keeping them alive and healthy!

They like the soil a little acidic, like most fruit, and they are easy to grow. They really ARE cherries (same genus). They have a bit less fruit covering the pit than the traditional tree cherries. They get between 9-15 foot tall, but are easily pruned down to be shorter. These will be my first nanking cherries at this house. The ones that I had before were sweet AND tart, kinda medium tart? They draw bees, and more bees means better fertilization for my garden! One day I will have a hive as well.

I have currants (white, red, and black) coming in, as well as two elderberries (different varieties) and 5 trees.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prepped some apple seeds to get ready to plant. Replace the brakes on my truck. Got some roast to can. Plant the squash and beans. Take grandau to rodeo grounds for barrel practice with her horse. Not much happening today :Heya:
Peaches are blooming, apricots jsut started to bud. Hope we don't get that freeze tonight and hurt my peaches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom