Favorite "Form" of Prepping and Why ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I HAD a good arsenal biuld up, but with the confiscations coming, I "SOLD" everything. Along with all the ammo and reloading supplies. Bought 160 acres 40 miles from nowhere. Building a cabin. Been buying cattle and horses (transportation). Several chickens, turkeys, geese, pigs and goats. Been gardening for years. Wife is getting pretty good at the canning and dehydrating thing. Have several fruit trees adn making lots of jelly and dehydrated fruit. (peach, cherry, apricot, pear) and pecan, as much fro squirrel bait as for the nuts. 2 ponds stocked with fish. A spring fed water well. But other than that, we really haven't done much.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I HAD a good arsenal biuld up, but with the confiscations coming, I "SOLD" everything. Along with all the ammo and reloading supplies. Bought 160 acres 40 miles from nowhere. Building a cabin. Been buying cattle and horses (transportation). Several chickens, turkeys, geese, pigs and goats. Been gardening for years. Wife is getting pretty good at the canning and dehydrating thing. Have several fruit trees adn making lots of jelly and dehydrated fruit. (peach, cherry, apricot, pear) and pecan, as much fro squirrel bait as for the nuts. 2 ponds stocked with fish. A spring fed water well. But other than that, we really haven't done much.

HEY!! What cultivars are you using for those fruit trees? Are they dwarf trees or standard?? I think I've figured out which apple trees I want to plant, but I have no clue what peach or cherry trees to plant ... So ... You're just a "weekend warrior", huh? :wink2:

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of necessity we're working on bugging in along with our LDS neighbor. Our bodies are too old and screwed up (diabetes, stroke) to think realistically about doing anything else except maybe, maybe getting ourselves set up with some kind of mobile home. But even that presents a unique set of problems. So, bugging in with a year's worth of food is our target. Also, I have several 00 buckshot rounds loaded just for Been when he comes to raid us. :)

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of necessity we're working on bugging in along with our LDS neighbor. Our bodies are too old and screwed up (diabetes, stroke) to think realistically about doing anything else except maybe, maybe getting ourselves set up with some kind of mobile home. But even that presents a unique set of problems. So, bugging in with a year's worth of food is our target. Also, I have several 00 buckshot rounds loaded just for Been when he comes to raid us. :)

You have to sleep some time. The advantage the attacker has is choosing when he can attack. Just something yall should think about.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HEY!! What cultivars are you using for those fruit trees? Are they dwarf trees or standard?? I think I've figured out which apple trees I want to plant, but I have no clue what peach or cherry trees to plant ... So ... You're just a "weekend warrior", huh? :wink2:

Hey, BB

:lmfao: Yeah, a weekend warrior, 7 days a week. OK, serious now, and I am serious. I keep buckets full of Miracle Grow potting soil beside the patio, they are marked; apricot, cherry, peach, plum, pear. Any time I am eating fruit, I throw the seeds in the pot. The pears are from my sisters tree. I was peeling pears to can and started throwing the seeds in, planted 15 trees about 3 ft tall in the back pasture, was doing good until son left the gate open and the cows ate them. The plums came from my Uncle, they are a small, native, wild plum. Great for jelly. The apricots came from a friend at church, I had 3 trees producing but lost 1 last year due to drought, canned 120 lbs. The peaches, I have 2 freestone, 2 Georgia Giant, and a white. Only 2 trees big enough to produce, canned 86 lbs last year. Cherry, I have 1 BING and 1 Monticello, cherries have to have different varieties near each other to germinate. First time to produce last year, had 12 lbs. I did set up a soaker hose around the trees, still lost 1 apricot, 3 peach and 2 cherry. But I really don't do ALOT or anything special. I have about 200 apricot seeds I am getting potted and hope to have some small trees next spring. I also have a large pecan tree that drops pecans in my garden, I let them get about 2 ft tall and sell / give them away or transplant around my pond.
OK, a little long winded. To answer your question as to what 'kind' to plant. Plant what you like. I put up to 25 seeds in a 5 gal bucket. Just see what comes up. Once they sprout, thin to 8-10 per bucket. Just move any excess, if any, to another bucket. After 2nd year, 1 1/2 yrs old, in Nov/Dec, plant where you want.

Last edited:

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with your raiding and plundering scheme, is that it's a zero-sum game. You're trading ammo, safety, health, and comfort for maybe some food and other supplies you can carry.

The rest of us are working together to make win-win voluntary associations, so even though you have a timing advantage, we have the advantage of having friends that won't shoot us.

Back on track: I don't believe that prepping for natural disaster is "prepping" at all. That just common sense and civic duty. If you don't have a weeks worth of food in your home, some blankets, and a fire extinguisher, then you aren't even a citizen.
My prepping is geared more towards warfare in a societal collapse than anything, simply because that's the one thing I can't synthesize in that WROL scenario. We can keep growing food, can still trade for things, but weapons and gear are manufacturing intensive items that will stop being made in a societal collapse scenario.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rest of us are working together to make win-win voluntary associations, so even though you have a timing advantage, we have the advantage of having friends that won't shoot us.

I might be wrong, I often am, but I think that's the point Been is trying to make SirROFL. :) One of the most likely narratives in a WROL scenario is for roaming gangs, who are already organized, to attack the weakest and least protected first. That's what happened in NO within only 3 days after Katrina hit. Even parts of law enforcement descended into tribal mentality.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Poor been ... he'll be running around trying to pillage and plunder and we'll all be like "Oh, look it's been ... HEY! You little ****, get in here before somebody shoots you!!" :D Been is welcome at my compound anytime!! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom