Feral hog poison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if the wild swine project on Kaw lake had some influence on this new poison.
Pig hunting has been shut down on the lake for three or four years now by USDA so they can study some new eradication scenarios is all I can find out about it.
Interesting.
I can ask my brother, he recently retired fron USDA.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure why they just wouldn't use the m-44's on hogs actually

M-44-and-dog-1.gif

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You could say that about anything that doesn't directly affect you. That makes no sense. And one doesn't have to be a "bleeding heart" to believe there might be better alternatives to poison in controlling feral hog populations.

The agriculture world is all ears, and there's billions of dollars to be made if you've got the answer. The ag world has been looking for that solution for decades now. More loose dogs and cats will succumb vehicle collisions crossing the road than would ever succumb to accidental poisonings. Especially the warfarin variety.

Here's the bleeding heart page with statistics, and there's tons of other groups and statistics on the web, both from animal groups and pro-poision users as well.

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/cyanide-bombs/

Warfarin is the better alternatives to the best means of control, which would be using the m-44 for hogs, but that's not even being discussed of course.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They chose warfarin, because of how safe it is, and it has an antidote that is found anywhere, (vitamin K). This hog poison is 5 times weaker than the rat bait version and hogs might have to eat 5lbs for a lethal dose. Other animals dying from eating warfarin poisoned animals is almost unheard, its more of a theory I guess.

I'm all for letting them use this stuff, honestly I think they could multiply the strength several times and still be safe. I purposely avoid the anti-coagulant poisons, IMO I feel the neurotoxins work a lot better, especially for the larger varmints.

Last edited:

bas402

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something similar was tried in Colorado with the prairie dogs. Worked ok but the hawks and eagles fed on the dying dogs and it was killing off the hawks and eagles too.
I was there when this happened, trust me it’s not what you read or was told, PETA folks were at the base of it and then the politicians. The vermin population has since went crazy. I never had a bad day when I went out plinking😉 and the ranchers were thankful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom