fertilizing wheat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i remember reading on here about food plots and such. Well i hunt on the wheat fields and the river bottom well of course the deer love the wheat in the winter and every year we plant some kind of food plot and never have any luck they usually walk past and hit the wheat. So i remember reading that if yuou fertilize a certain area of the field it will be better in nutrition and the deer will eat there. so i was wondering what kind of fertilizer do you put down and when? just trying to get a nice honey hole for the deer to go to. i think he is going to be planting here in the next few weeks and i think the land just got tilled within the last week.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to the COOP in your area, or a good feed store and get some 46-0-0. Put the fertilizer in the day of planting or at the last time the soil is going to be worked, prior to planting. That way the Nitrogen will be contained in the soil.
If your going to wait to top dress it after it comes up, spread it just prior to a rain storm for maximum effectiveness. Just throwing it on top of the ground with a 2 week dry spell afterward won't do a whole lot of good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom