First ar build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am starting up an ar build and I want to know opinions cause I'm new. Any tips would be great and I will keep this a dedicated build thread.

I have an ati omni lower (not my first choice but I will hold out till I can get a spikes calico jack lower).

So far the lower is all I have right now I am waiting till it calms down and just slowly picking stuff up but here is my plan so far. I am looking at an armalite lower parts kit, spikes battle trigger, a skeleton stock all that should be my lower. For the upper I want to shoot .556 & .223 so I want to make sure it's chambered in .556 correct? I'm looking at a flat top lower either spikes or noveske, I have not decided on a bcg, vltor gunfighter charging handle, free floating hand gaurd, barrel wise I'm leaning towards a bull barrel but I don't know what twist my buddy said do the 1 in 7 but I'm not to sure what the perks of that are also I don't know what would be a better barrel bull, heavy, or normal I will be carbine length so 16" with a low profile gas tube is what I'm going for. And optics I am thinking of some flip ups and a red dot of some sort.

Any one have anything to this list of stuff I need or any changes?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heavy bullets perform best out of a 1:7 twist.

Most bull barrels are 1:8, some have the 223 Wylde chamber which will handle both 223 & 5.56. 1:8 is good for heavier bullets as well.

Bull barrels are .936 diameter end to end, even a 16" barrel is heavy.

Most any lower parts kit will satisfy your needs, I wouldn't spend the extra $ on an Armalite, if you want to spend a lot of money on an LPK hold out for a Daniel Defense.

Why the Spikes Battle Trigger on a bull barrel rig?

Most any flat top upper will work, Spikes and Noveske just stencil their names on somebody else's product.

The BCM charging handle is a good choice.

wildcat04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ASP - that is the best advise you can give!

Don't just run out and buy parts because you find them and want an AR. Do you want it for bench shooting,hunting, competition, or home defense (or a combo of the above). This will have a big impact on caliber, barrel length, trigger, weight, handguard, etc...

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I'm asking around good advice so far. What I'm planning for this is an accurate range gun / home defense. I'm not a hunter I just like to go shooting and I like nice things haha.

Battle trigger reasoning is its an upgraded trigger, I'm not going to spend $200 on a trigger but I will spend $60.

I will probably go for the heavy barrel instead of the bull barrel.

As for the armalite lpk it just looked good for the price they were like $85 on the websites I saw that's a good price range for a lpk I think, I would spend a little extra for better quality.

Right now I have a lower so the rest is in the works I am putty to mold haha.

Again I'm looking for quality not just the cheapest parts available this is like a major part a month thing so it will take a few months to do.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would recommend a White Oak Armament 16" Stainless barrel for you. Wanting a range gun and home defense gun, this barrel will give you the accuracy you are wanting while still being a good choice for home defense. I also really think that you should invest in as good of trigger money can buy. I probably couldn't have shot the groups I did with a stock trigger. Below is a review of the barrel and a link to find it from Brownells.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...ent-Review-White-Oak-Armament-Barrel-VLTOR-A5

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...arrels/ar-15-m16-match-barrels-prod54526.aspx

shorton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to get over to Fat Boy Tactical in Bixby and talk to the guys there. Not sure what all they have right now,but at least they can give you some advice and might have some of the parts you need. I went there for my first build several months ago, before the whole world lost it's mind, and they were great to deal with.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would recommend a White Oak Armament 16" Stainless barrel for you. Wanting a range gun and home defense gun, this barrel will give you the accuracy you are wanting while still being a good choice for home defense. I also really think that you should invest in as good of trigger money can buy. I probably couldn't have shot the groups I did with a stock trigger. Below is a review of the barrel and a link to find it from Brownells.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...ent-Review-White-Oak-Armament-Barrel-VLTOR-A5

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...arrels/ar-15-m16-match-barrels-prod54526.aspx

Will this barrel accept .556 also?

Latest posts

Top Bottom