First ever squib load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know how many tens if not hundreds of thousands of eounds I have shot but yesterday I got my first squib load. Factory Remington UMC 9mm...primer went off but none of the powder did. Bullet stuck about halfway down the barrel and I caught it before catastrophically trying to fire another round. It was the last round of the mag and felt funny and the slide did not lock back...so I checked it out and sure enough...action was full of unburned powder and the projectile in the barrel.
Pistol was a Browning Hi Power Practical. I'm gonna take some different ammo out with it tomorrow and hope for better results (that was my first outing with this pistol).
14102388_1257142510997642_5280227312658473620_n.jpg
14183833_1257142550997638_3448642923885102605_n.jpg
14191900_1257142677664292_8475204288741414780_n.jpg
14203147_1257142624330964_2775536780286290058_n.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had two. Both on the same match. Loader error.
Never had once since, I look at every round as it comes through the LNL to make sure the powder load is the same.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please do your fellow shooters a favor and notify Remington, they want to know about it. I'd bet they'll ask you to send the box of ammo in and then send you a new one. Winchester did that for me.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a similar issue with the UMC value pack 9mm ammo buy. Had 3 bad primers. Never have had any problems with UMC before and my SA Range officer operator generally loves them. Add the fact I can get them on sale all the time, hate to give them up.
On the good side, I had bought 4 packs of 250 and no problems with the others so I hope this is just a fluke. Mass production of anything, particularly range ammo, you will have a few fails. Bad primers I can live with Squibs no.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one with a Mosin once. Using Russian MilSurp, only the primer went off. Although technically it wouldn't be a squib as the bullet exited the barrel, and fell down on the bench directly below the muzzle....

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please do your fellow shooters a favor and notify Remington, they want to know about it. I'd bet they'll ask you to send the box of ammo in and then send you a new one. Winchester did that for me.
It was OLD ammo...I'm not going to blame Remington on this one. I bought it at a garage sale in Texas from an old guy so who knows how long and how it had been stored. I shot all the .38 and .380 from the same garage sale without issue....and finished off two mags of the same stuff today so everything else fired fine.

Having said that...I shot through 175 rounds at USSA today and zero issues. 100 rounds was Herters i got on sale at Cabelas...and still ran good. I picked up 200 rounds of Winchester White box on the way home so when I shoot through the "oddball" stuff I have, I'll probably just keep stock in Winchester like I do for my 1911s.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one with a Mosin once. Using Russian MilSurp, only the primer went off. Although technically it wouldn't be a squib as the bullet exited the barrel, and fell down on the bench directly below the muzzle....
Had an odd situation with my mosin with RED ARMY 7.62x54rw where the casing puffed out a bit. Otherwise, I have shot a lot of Tula with no issues in my mosin as well as my AK47 7.62x39

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had an odd situation with my mosin with RED ARMY 7.62x54rw where the casing puffed out a bit. Otherwise, I have shot a lot of Tula with no issues in my mosin as well as my AK47 7.62x39
Man I'd stay away from that RED ARMY stuff. My buddy was loading up some RED ARMY pistol rounds, I forget the caliber...and it wouldnt fit into the mag. I looked at it and its overall length was too long...then the bullet popped out....with another bullet still in the case. Yes, two projectiles loaded into one case. That could have been catastrophic. You could see where the inner round deformed the bottom of the top round when they seated the second bullet.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I'd stay away from that RED ARMY stuff. My buddy was loading up some RED ARMY pistol rounds, I forget the caliber...and it wouldnt fit into the mag. I looked at it and its overall length was too long...then the bullet popped out....with another bullet still in the case. Yes, two projectiles loaded into one case. That could have been catastrophic. You could see where the inner round deformed the bottom of the top round when they seated the second bullet.
Never had shot Red Army before and it was on sale at Cabela's. The round looked funny to me but what the heck. Fired the first couple and then the third one just sounded funny and was stuck and not ejecting. Dropped the mag spring, banged on the bolt to pull out of half battery and got the round out and it looked PUFFED UP
Compared it to unfired round and could visibly see difference with measuring. Still have the balance of the box but won't buy anymore. I had mentioned this on a Collectors site and got flamed for running down the Red Army brand, so have not mentioned it again till now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom