First wet tumble with SS media - WOW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get one of those brass colored steel cases, it turns the other brass pinkish. Thought about doing some special for Thatgirl.
A strong enough acid (using too much) will do that to solid brass too. That's dezincification where the acid eats the zinc out of the brass. Pink brass is not good as it's weakened. And if you load up that brass and let it sit for a few years it'll likely split or you get a head separation or something bad along those lines. It makes me cringe to see some of these guys doing youtube videos and dump a bunch a Dawn (which contains a constituent of ammonia) and Lemishine (citric acid) in their chlorinated and fluoridated water and use it hot to tumble and rinse. Heat puts the process on steroids. Rule of thumb is a tiny amount of each as the water and pins together do the vast bulk of the work.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 2 quarts of water I add about 3 cups of brass.
I then add less than 1/8 teaspoon of lemishine and about 4 to 6 drops of dawn or about 1/2 teaspoon of wash and wax instead of dawn.
45-60 minutes and they are done.
It really does not take much.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Daheck is dis? An 8 mm Nambu?

upload_2020-7-27_20-45-50.png

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same brass just needs to be inspected and sorted out. I generally do a final quick clean to remove the acid from my fingers. This brass will get a much higher level of scrutiny and I’ll cull 25% of it due the the water damage. The culls will get set aside for emergency or scrapped depending on how evasive it is.

Normally I would not spend the time on this. It was more of an experiment I started in May. After I got so far, it proved my point and I put it up. This thread made me get it out and finish it up.

Adjustments.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom