case tumbling wet with pins, what is the best proceedure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put some window screen material in these and rinse brass and pins then separate with a magnet. I deprime before also, makes seating primers so much easier.
brass sep.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some neat information on stainless and magnetism and corrosion resistance.
https://www.australwright.com.au/te...ainless-steel-magnetism-corrosion-resistance/

I made my own pins because i seen a package of brass pins at H&H and thought I could make copper pins from some scrap wire I have laying around.

I did give stainless pins a try but did not care for them ..Those I got were quite long and heavy and it did peen the cases a bit.
You could feel more resistance when sizing the cases also when using those pins.

MoBoost noticed that issue before I did and he pin tumbles then media vibrates to polish the cases.
He mentioned it and I got some stainless pins and experimented with them.

I even went as far as buying 50lbs of very small glass beads for fine media blasting and used them in a vibratory cleaner.
Very expensive test.
The beads felt like silk when you ran your hands into the bag of media.
My cases felt silky when they were finished in the vibratory many hours later.

Way too long of a process and no benefit and primer pockets were still dirty.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was 18 gauge wire wasn't it @swampratt? How long did you cut the wire? Assorted sizes? How much wire did you use?
I would assume it would leave a thin copper film on the cases. Does the copper patina if you don't dry it or keep it exposed to air? All the copper wire I have seen oxidizes and turns black after several years in use outdoors.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was 18 gauge wire wasn't it @swampratt? How long did you cut the wire? Assorted sizes? How much wire did you use?
I would assume it would leave a thin copper film on the cases. Does the copper patina if you don't dry it or keep it exposed to air? All the copper wire I have seen oxidizes and turns black after several years in use outdoors.
Post 12
My Pins are copper but are made from many different sizes of copper wire.
From 1/0 THHN to 4 gauge THHN

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too much citric acid (LemiShine) or too long in the acid will leach some of the copper out of brass or the copper pins.
This will be apparent as you will have pink cases.
The copper is removed and redeposited on the cases as is my understanding.

I use wash and wax and not dawn most of the time and very little.
It does not take much 1/8 teaspoon or much less in a 2 quart container and just a little Lemi shine.

I do not think it is real critical as to what size the copper pins are but lamp cord or speaker wire copper is just too flimsy to get it done in my mind.
So 18 gauge stranded copper I think will be too thin.

Here are a couple pictures of how much Lemi Shine and soap I use in 1/2 a gallon of water.
and a picture of my pins.

I have cases I copper pin cleaned that are many years old and look just fine no corrosion or odd colors.

002.JPG
004.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom