For all Tactical bolt action gun nuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhino55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been around rifles most of my life (50 years) and have shot for the Navy Rifle team winning several trophy rifles. I hearing allot about tactical bolt action rifles are far better than bolt action hunting rifles. On the rifle team we used #5 Remington Varmit contours with 29 inch barrels. These rifles were set up for X ring cold bore shots as long as the shooter done their part. I'm a hunter and all my bolt actions are set up for one shot kills. I was recently told by several ppl that was impossible to do with hunting rifles because they were not made to the mil specs standards of tactial bolt action rifles. I know there are some wise ppl on this form and would like your input.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been around rifles most of my life (50 years) and have shot for the Navy Rifle team winning several trophy rifles. I hearing allot about tactical bolt action rifles are far better than bolt action hunting rifles. On the rifle team we used #5 Remington Varmit contours with 29 inch barrels. These rifles were set up for X ring cold bore shots as long as the shooter done their part. I'm a hunter and all my bolt actions are set up for one shot kills. I was recently told by several ppl that was impossible to do with hunting rifles because they were not made to the mil specs standards of tactial bolt action rifles. I know there are some wise ppl on this form and would like your input.
more like it's impossible to do with factory ammo. a rifle will repeat shot after shot with the same ammo. variances will be negligible. the only variables left are the shooter and the ammo.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iv never understood what people meant buy "tactical" bolt action rifles. My guess is rifles made pacifically for Marksmen in the military. What would a sporterized military bolt action be categorized as?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PBramble said:
more like it's impossible to do with factory ammo. a rifle will repeat shot after shot with the same ammo. variances will be negligible. the only variables left are the shooter and the ammo.

What about the wind?

Tactical is just a stupid buzzword. A rifle is a rifle is a rifle. A Remington 700 .308 that some armchair commando shoots paper with at 300 yards is still the same Remmy 700 that kills a deer at that distance.

Don't buy into it. An accurate rifle is an accurate rifle no matter who made it or for what intended purpose.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're missing the whole Atlantic point.

Been,you said "pacifically" instead of "specifically"...hence the Atlantic Ocean versus Pacific Ocean joke.

Anyway, calling a weapon tactical is a way of adding $400 onto the price of an otherwise fine and serviceable hunting gun.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found factory ammo that shot as good a hand load!
I use to call BS on something like this. BUT, I hand load for all my hunting and my buddies hunting rifles except for one. My .264 WM, cause no matter what I've tried I cant get any of my loads to out preform some crappy 140g Win Supremes. And it ain't cause my handloads are shooting bad out of it...

But I do say BS on Tacticool guns will out shoot a hunting rifle. I'm not satisfied with anything over MOA with a plain Jane hunting rifle. The only buck I killed last year was with an Encore with a 3-9x40 Nikon prostaff scope in .300wm (completely stock/unmodified) at 249 yards. That gun will shoot a 3 shot clover leaf eveytime with my hand loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom