For all you Glock Operators . . . .Marines not happy with new 1911 design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Young operators have had trouble with the 1911's beavertail grip safety, according to one former Marine weapons instructor who trained MARSOC members.

Many shooters wearing gloves tend to grip the 1911 too high and do not properly disengage the beavertail grip safety, so the pistol won't fire, he said. A lot of professional shooters who run custom 1911s will disable that beavertail grip safety to avoid this problem, he added.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/1...ntcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wayne Novak built a 1911 without the grip safety. Called it "The Advantage", I believe. Did away with the grip safety which was added to Browning's design at the request of the U.S. Cavalry. I don't know why other builders haven't done the same. The grip safety of the 1911--like the dratted mag safety of the Hi Power--is a relic from a long gone military contract requirement, and both of them should be eliminated in today's versions of these two wonderful weapons.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wayne Novak built a 1911 without the grip safety. Called it "The Advantage", I believe. Did away with the grip safety which was added to Browning's design at the request of the U.S. Cavalry. I don't know why other builders haven't done the same. The grip safety of the 1911--like the dratted mag safety of the Hi Power--is a relic from a long gone military contract requirement, and both of them should be eliminated in today's versions of these two wonderful weapons.

It was called "The Answer"

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think the "operators" would have some different opinions after a few training sessions. The high grip is just something that is easily overcome with training repetitions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom