Marines Choose 9mm Glock 19 OVER .45 ACP 1911 for Special Operators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 1911 is still an excellent choice as a combat sidearm today, as is the Glock 19. However, comparing a 1911 to electric tubes, wooden wheels, and the like is really not very accurate; wouldn't you also agree?

Ok, I'll bite - how is 1911 even in the same category as G19?
Double the size, double the weight, double the cost and half the capacity.

And if you want to talk logistics - existence of 1911 and 45ACP* is THE PRIME example of logistics gone wrong ....

* Browning re-engineered his 9mm designs to work with .45 idiocy aka Thompson-LaGarde test results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson–LaGarde_Tests

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite - how is 1911 even in the same category as G19?
Double the size, double the weight, double the cost and half the capacity.

And if you want to talk logistics - existence of 1911 and 45ACP* is THE PRIME example of logistics gone wrong ....

* Browning re-engineered his 9mm designs to work with .45 idiocy aka Thompson-LaGarde test results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson–LaGarde_Tests

Howdy Mo. It's just a matter of preference. And nostalgia... I agree in large about adopting the G19, and said in post #1 that the G19 is a damn fine combat handgun. Consider that certain individuals and elements within the USMC's Recon Community fought to bring the .45ACP (Colt 1911) back after the Beretta was adopted. Of course, it's easy for me and some others to remember that that was a long time ago! It took a bit, but eventually, the 1911 found its way back in the holsters of Force Recon Marines who liked the pistol for certain missions. One of the missions trained for was, and still is, VBSS. (Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure). The characteristics of the .45ACP pistol and the .45ACP round itself were preferred over the 9mm for this type of mission by many. But, like I said, that was then (30+ years ago) and this is now...

Yes, from a logistics standpoint, the G19 trumps the Colt .45ACP pistol all day every day. And that is true at the individual level in terms of weight of pistol and ammo; and the small unit/organizational level too in terms of spare parts and how much ammo can be packed and transported. Honestly, given modern ammo, I guess I just have to give it up and agree that the G19 can do the job as well as the venerable old Colt 1911 in .45ACP, and from a logistical standpoint, it only makes good sense to do what has been done.

Sorry if I seem argumentative, I'm just an old Marine who still likes his bullets big and slow. (Although, I often carry a Glock 43. Go figure).

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, from a logistics standpoint, the G19 trumps the Colt .45ACP pistol all day every day. And that is true at the individual level in terms of weight of pistol and ammo; and the small unit/organizational level too in terms of spare parts and how much ammo can be packed and transported. Honestly, given modern ammo, I guess I just have to give it up and agree that the G19 can do the job as well as the venerable old Colt 1911 in .45ACP, and from a logistical standpoint, it only makes good sense to do what has been done.

That's only true if the are going to also be switching to modern HP ammo. If they stick with NATO ball, not one single thing has changed in this regard.

I'm still curious, why the G19? The G17 seems like a better more logical choice.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's only true if the are going to also be switching to modern HP ammo. If they stick with NATO ball, not one single thing has changed in this regard.

I'm still curious, why the G19? The G17 seems like a better more logical choice.

I DID say "modern ammo..." (I was talking about modern JHP ammo) So yeah; I totally agree about the ammo thing. And why not the G17 instead? I just don't know. I had a Gen4 G17, but for some reason I shoot the Gen4 19 better. Probably just a matter of time with the two pistols. I'm feeling old and out of touch anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious... is there a particular reason the Beretta was dropped?

I'm considering buying one of their all-steel doublestack models.

The Beretta hasn't been dropped. This change only applies to MARSOC, a small number of Marines. Most of the rest will still be issued the Beretta.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cause guns are dangerous?

Guns are inherently safe, people are dangerous or safe.

Guns are designed to fire when the trigger is pulled, if you don't want it to go off don't pull the trigger. Also, not only can a finger pull a trigger but so can miscellaneous objects so put the gun in a holster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom