For all you Glock Operators . . . .Marines not happy with new 1911 design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That right there is funny. I love my Glocks (cuz they hold more boolits), but the 1911 outclasses any other handgun made. Ever, anywhere.

I'll break it down real easy. The bag phone was the shizzle when it came out. Might have been big and bulky but it did it's job very well. Times and technology have changed. Advances and redisgns and refinements have been made. Should we continue to embrace the bag phone and carry it simply for nostalgias sake? Or do we embrace the technological changes and get an iPhone or Android? No doubt a 1911 can still spit out bullets but there are newer handguns that shoot better, are safer and more reliable. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy them or carry them or shoot them. I'm simply saying its time has passed and can now be given it's place in history as the true relic it really is.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here, let me help:

I'll break it down real easy. The bag phone was the shizzle when it came out. Might have been big and bulky but it did it's job very well.
When it came out, there was no other options out there. It was brand new technology. kinda l like the first Single Action Armies that shot brass cased ammo.

Times and technology have changed. Advances and redesgns and refinements have been made.
However, gun technology hasn't changed that much. the same brass cased ammo is being shot today as was being shot when it was invented. propellants have changed, and jackets invented, but it's still a lead slug on top of a brass case. If you look at a Glock, an XDm or a M&P or a 1911, they all work exactly the same way on a fundamental basis. spent brass is grabbed and spit out after being fired. they all use a slide, they all use extractors, they all use a spring actuated magazine, recoil spring, firing pin and trigger. Sure, there is a difference between striker fired and hammer fired - but they both just smack a primer to initiate the process. Technology hasn't advanced as far as you think. The last MAJOR advancement was the creation of a self-loading semi-automatic action, which all modern slide actuated handguns use.

Should we continue to embrace the bag phone and carry it simply for nostalgia's sake? Or do we embrace the technological changes and get an iPhone or Android?
I think it's fair to say that if firearm technology advanced at the same pace as telephone technology - with the same number of massive innovations - we would all be shooting laser or energy weapons.. . . the i-gun perhaps. BUT: there haven't been that many innovations. AND: unlike bag phone which are not capable of being in service today due to technology advancements, the 1911 still shoots the original, currently produced and widely distributed .45 Auto Pistol round. If you found ammo from that very first batch of commercial made rounds, it would function in todays modern firearms as well as any 1911, assuming it was good ammo. Try turning on that bag phone and report back what happens. . . NUTHIN'

No doubt a 1911 can still spit out bullets but there are newer handguns that shoot better, are safer and more reliable. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy them or carry them or shoot them. I'm simply saying its time has passed and can now be given it's place in history as the true relic it really is.

Thats funny right there. especially after your first post said this:

The 1911 is an outdated dinosaur that needs to be relegated to a display case in a firearms museum somewhere. Probably next to the flintlocks or cap & balls,

Seems to me that exactly what you're saying.

Oh, and FWIW, the revolver has been around far longer than any 1911. Should they all be mothballed as well?

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here, let me help:

I'll break it down real easy. The bag phone was the shizzle when it came out. Might have been big and bulky but it did it's job very well.
When it came out, there was no other options out there. It was brand new technology. kinda l like the first Single Action Armies that shot brass cased ammo.

However, gun technology hasn't changed that much. the same brass cased ammo is being shot today as was being shot when it was invented. propellants have changed, and jackets invented, but it's still a lead slug on top of a brass case. If you look at a Glock, an XDm or a M&P or a 1911, they all work exactly the same way on a fundamental basis. spent brass is grabbed and spit out after being fired. they all use a slide, they all use extractors, they all use a spring actuated magazine, recoil spring, firing pin and trigger. Sure, there is a difference between striker fired and hammer fired - but they both just smack a primer to initiate the process. Technology hasn't advanced as far as you think. The last MAJOR advancement was the creation of a self-loading semi-automatic action, which all modern slide actuated handguns use.

I think it's fair to say that if firearm technology advanced at the same pace as telephone technology - with the same number of massive innovations - we would all be shooting laser or energy weapons.. . . the i-gun perhaps. BUT: there haven't been that many innovations. AND: unlike bag phone which are not capable of being in service today due to technology advancements, the 1911 still shoots the original, currently produced and widely distributed .45 Auto Pistol round. If you found ammo from that very first batch of commercial made rounds, it would function in todays modern firearms as well as any 1911, assuming it was good ammo. Try turning on that bag phone and report back what happens. . . NUTHIN'

Thats funny right there. especially after your first post said this:

Seems to me that exactly what you're saying.

Oh, and FWIW, the revolver has been around far longer than any 1911. Should they all be mothballed as well?

Can I just throw my old out of date revolvers in the recycle bin? How about my pristine condition Walther PPK/S? It's heavy; it's too big for my pocket, it only holds 7 rounds in the mag, it's a low-powered .380 ACP that won't even hardly pop a water balloon...should I just dispose of that too since here are many more modern pistols of lighter weight, greater oomph, and more capacity?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess we all should scrap outdated V8s in trucks because the Iphone is a step up from the old bagphone?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess we all should scrap outdated V8s in trucks because the Iphone is a step up from the old bagphone?

Yep, something we can agree on here! If I got rid of all my "outdated" stuff, I could put what I had left in an outdated paper bag.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was US Army Infantry, so mine and Marines MMV, but my training with the M9 was "here, go qualify." In which I did, and that was the one and only firing/use of an M9 in my short military time, I had to be qualified as an assist MG. Now Green Berets and MARSOC would have much more training in sidearms, along with more freedom in what they carry. For me a Glock is much easier to clean, to operate, and has a much high capacity than the 1911, which are all plus' when people are trying to kill me. Both are excellent killing machines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom