Fresh Butter & Milk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just make sure your supplier has their herd tested for bangs. If they do, your good to go.
We used to make butter in jars by shaking as has already been said.
Hand made ice cream from real cream was the bomb. As kids we had to sit on top of the Ice cream maker while someone turned the handle until it was done. Later on someone bought one that was electric. Life was good.
We lost our only dairy that would sell to the public several years ago in the Ponca area.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a young lady North of Stroud who sells Jersey milk with cream on top for $8 a gallon. The Stewarts in Blanchard are super nice people and their milk is Brown Swiss.
if interested in jersey milk contact me and I will pass your info on to her.
Mike, the young lady N of Stroud is local to us. I'm sending a message to you sir.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up in Kansas, our family drank exclusively whole unpasteurized and homogenized milk we purchased from a local dairy farmer. We would take one gallon pickle jars once a week and usually get four gallons each week. The price was 50 cents per gallon.

The cream in that milk was so thick and rich; it was difficult at times to make whipped cream without the cream turning to butter first. A gallon of milk would have about two inches of cream at the top of the gallon.

My younger brother was a big milk drinker and as a teenager he would often drink a half gallon or more of milk after school. Myself, I was never a milk drinker and still don’t care for milk. Cheese, Ice cream, cottage cheese and yogurt I enjoy. My brother on the other hand, now in his sixties claims he is lactose intolerant and won’t touch any milk products. My thinking is the whole unprocessed milk was healthier and had enzymes that helped him digest the milk when he was younger.

GADadinOK

Marksman
Reaction score
Went by Stewart's Dairy in Blanchard today. Picked up a pint of heavy cream and a gallon of milk. Mr. Stewart was a pleasure to speak to...the kind of guy you could chat with for 30 minutes while picking up your milk, and not realize the time had passed. They don't sell butter or cheese, and gave me a couple names/numbers of people who sell eggs.

Thanks for the tip, @jakeman

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went by Stewart's Dairy in Blanchard today. Picked up a pint of heavy cream and a gallon of milk. Mr. Stewart was a pleasure to speak to...the kind of guy you could chat with for 30 minutes while picking up your milk, and not realize the time had passed. They don't sell butter or cheese, and gave me a couple names/numbers of people who sell eggs.

Take your pint of cream and put it in a quart jar. Have a seat and rock it back and forth until you have butter. Salt to taste.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Let us know how you like it.

Might be a few more people here that would buy from them. The way I understand it, what they sell there at the farm is what they sell. They don’t have any large commercial contracts is what I’ve been told. No clue if that is correct or not, but it is what I’ve been told.

GADadinOK

Marksman
Reaction score
Let us know how you like it.

Might be a few more people here that would buy from them. The way I understand it, what they sell there at the farm is what they sell. They don’t have any large commercial contracts is what I’ve been told. No clue if that is correct or not, but it is what I’ve been told.
Spoke to Mr. Stewart for 20 minutes while there. They stopped selling commercially a few years ago. All sales are now face-to-face. Cream and milk are awesome. The heavy cream is about as thick as honey...and I've already skimmed almost another quart of the lighter cream off the whole milk. Pint of cream was $7, gallon of milk $6.50.

You have to make an appointment the first time you purchase, but after that, you just call and place an order and day you'll pick up, and you walk in, grab yours our of the cooler, and drop your money in the can. Honor system.

Mr. Stewart sent us out the door with a nice saying...."God Bless, Keep the Faith, and Stay Locked & Loaded".

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spoke to Mr. Stewart for 20 minutes while there. They stopped selling commercially a few years ago. All sales are now face-to-face. Cream and milk are awesome. The heavy cream is about as thick as honey...and I've already skimmed almost another quart of the lighter cream off the whole milk. Pint of cream was $7, gallon of milk $6.50.

You have to make an appointment the first time you purchase, but after that, you just call and place an order and day you'll pick up, and you walk in, grab yours our of the cooler, and drop your money in the can. Honor system.

Mr. Stewart sent us out the door with a nice saying...."God Bless, Keep the Faith, and Stay Locked & Loaded".
I’ve lived around the corner from them for almost 30 years and I’ve never head a bad word about them from anyone around here.

I don’t know them, but I’ve heard they are top notch folks. Great people selling a great product from what I understand.

I’m glad you found a close, reliable, quality source.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've been buying milk from the Stewarts for about 6 years now. My kids won't touch Braum's or any other brand of milk since we switched. My wife grew up on a dairy and she really appreciated the way the Stewart's run their operation. They go through the typical phases of high production to low production as the cows go through their cycles, especially with a small herd, but they are good people and the milk is fantastic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom