Froze up???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dog and I went for a jaunt through the woods for a hour earlier. It is ****ing Cold. Not one Rabbit, Bird was kicked up. 5* on my out side thermometer.

Sitting now about reading Facebook Pages with people screaming about water froze, why, crying, arguing about it, bad advice, some good. Some are shocked they knew nothing about needing a well house, let alone heating them. We are in some stupid times. But we will live through it. Hope none ya’ll get froze up.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Everything was looking good until about 1:00 this afternoon. No cold water at the kitchen sink (north wall). I left cabinet drawers open all night and had a drip going all night. When I got up this morning, I turned the water on to see that I had full flow. Worked like a charm, so I stopped the drip but left the cabinet doors open. Apparently, that wasn't enough. SO, I've now got a small electric heater going in there. Hopefully, it will clear up soon.
HATE cold weather!

ETA: ... AND, it broke free. About twenty to thirty minutes with the little electric heater going, and all is well. I guess the cabinet doors will stay open and the drip will continue until about Sunday sometime! I need to figure out a way to block more cold air from getting in under that sink, but I haven't figured out just what that's gonna' be yet.
when the meth heads replaced hot water lines; they ran pex thru the attic. there is *some* insulation around the lines, but it ain't much.

no hot water after leaving dripping all night. space heater in the attic. my best attempt; home owners that can't afford to take care of their stuff will learn!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My hot water lines are currently frozen. Mostly due the fact my house was built in 1941, crawl space foundation, and the hot water heater and washing machine are literally plumbed right into the north wall. Plus we live out here in a flat open area so the wind is insane.

Eventually we’re going to do a home equity loan and do a major remodel. I will certainly be fixing the plumbing situation eventually. For now we just with the old farmhouse issues

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a custom made steel pivot door. It’s frosted on the inside of the house.

Attachments

• FD24AA7B-CD87-43EB-BD2A-63F256C97F16.jpeg
    FD24AA7B-CD87-43EB-BD2A-63F256C97F16.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope that’s not from your water feature running. I learned an expensive lesson from not winterizing ours a few years ago when we had that 2-3 week cold snap.
It is, but there's really no way to drain the water feature, so pool stays open year round. The ice will melt as it warm up again. Hopefully only a couple days. This was the big freeze, and yes it was expensive. 😟

Attachments

• 592F0971-A2AB-4093-B747-A52347E9D6E9.jpeg
    592F0971-A2AB-4093-B747-A52347E9D6E9.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
For those that have frozen hot water lines, did you drip the hot water first to assure flow and then kick in the cold water?
People never think to drip the hot water lines first. Yeah, it's gonna cost you a few bucks, but always drip the hot first and then double it with the cold.
yeah i had 'em dripping hot/cold all faucets. didn't have tubs dripping, but to be honest i don't think i've ever done that.

in the attic to confirm, they ran the pex lines just like....thru the attic. just laid up there. i'm not sure how they thought they wouldn't freeze, i have absolutely no way of regulating the temperature of that attic. my space heater is maxed out, i threw a breaker trying to run another one up there, switched to space heater and one 30' heater cable.

the pex is insulated with wrap around foam except for the T fittings and random sections of pipe. after a few hours of the heater cable working, i can feel the pipe itself is much more malleable and there's a trickle of hot water coming.

but yeah, i mean it could be like.....conceivably months before we get consistent temps ABOVE freezing so....this isn't going to fly.

i could try more than just a drip next time, but yeah everything i'm reading suggest WHAT DO YA KNOW when they replaced the hot waters line they did not follow code.

from what i can gather, if running pex thru an unconditioned space, it must be not just insulated, but ran UNDER the ceiling insulation. this lets the pex get more ambient radiant heat from the house and drywall, rather than....just hanging out in the attic where it would without a doubt freeze when the temps are single digits with negative windchill AND YOU CAN FEEL THE BREEZE INSIDE THE ATTIC.

like there's no way. my pex lines are froze because of the routing of the lines, which were done in the middle of summer. has nothing to do with faucets dripping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom