g17 or 92fs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My current pistol collection includes an East German Makarov and an old Smith clone Taurus Revolver. Now I'm wanting to get a double stack pistol of some sort.

Thinking about either a 92 or a g17 as my next gun, idk which one I want more though. I like the looks of both of them and everything.

Decisions are hard.

Or should I just get an RIA 1911 :P

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My current pistol collection includes an East German Makarov and an old Smith clone Taurus Revolver. Now I'm wanting to get a double stack pistol of some sort.

Thinking about either a 92 or a g17 as my next gun, idk which one I want more though. I like the looks of both of them and everything.

Decisions are hard.

Or should I just get an RIA 1911 :P

Find some one who has those guns and go shoot them. Alternatively, you can find a range which rents them. It should be an easy decision after you have some hands on familiarity with the various platforms, coupled with your research on which one meets your requirements. Until you shoot them, you are making a decision without enough info.

Yes, it will cost you a few bucks up front, but less in the long run if you choose one which isn't compatible with your physics or type of shooting.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
of those 2, I'd go with the G17. The 92fs doesn't fit well in my hand. If you wanted a recommendation, I say get a CZ75 (particularly compact).

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beretta 92 is just a sexy pistol, but IMHO the glock is most versatile of both. Shoot them both before you purchase and decide.....might try a g19 and consider it.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had both the 92 and the 17. The 92 does not fit my hands well. With the 17 I can take it apart to the smallest part and get any part except the receiver over the Internet. I can't do that with the 92. YMMV.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock. I've had both, and only the Glock has stayed. Why? The Glock is a better platform for me. Holds more ammo, smaller, easier to customize, simpler to operate, lighter. Pluses for the Beretta are....um, it might fit your hand better? The one I had was pretty accurate, but the Glock is equally so. I recommend, as stated above, try both first then make up your mind.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for versatility, unless you are gonna put a light on it, there isn't a difference. If you get a newer g17, you can swap backstraps, but I cut my teeth on the m-9( 92). I have carried it in Norway during winter,Iraq in summer, and various other climates/countries in between. Never recall it having a problem. And those were far from new guns. It is bigger and heavier than a g17 though. I also agree with caojyn, you have over looked the cz75. As a matter of fact, it's a lot easier to compare the CZ75 vs beretta. The G17 should be compared to XDM's,M&P,Walther PPQ and Styer M series pistols. Try each, then decide.