g17 or 92fs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot them both before you purchase and decide.

Best advice in the thread.

I have shot both and prefer the Beretta. I will probably own a G17 at some point in the future, though. The big differences between the two are the trigger (DA/SA vs striker) and weight (metal vs polymer). A few people have mentioned capacity - Beretta makes 17, 20, and 30 round mags for the 92 in addition to the standard 15 round mags. The 92 is also available with a rail (92A1 or M9A1 models) if that is important.

If you want to shoot my 92 some time next week send me a pm and we can meet up at 2A or somewhere.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, the 92 could never old up to 30 years of use and abuse.

92 is a great example of show and tell gun.

You show your buddies what gun is issued to the US armed forces.
Then you tell them how it should weigh less, hold more rounds and how you don't need a safety on a handgun, well ... at least not on the slide, well ... at least not where it engages when racking the slide.

That will never do, a MandP is not a work gun.

M&P is a great work gun.
Maybe if S&W didn't screw around for 10+ years with a POOR copy (sigma) maybe it would be worth mentioning ... other than that, S&W just made a GOOD copy of a Glock - make a good copy of a great gun, yup you get a great gun.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own both. They are both dead nuts reliable, but the 92 is just one of my favorite pistols. To quote Snatch, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it."

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, the 92 could never old up to 30 years of use and abuse.

Careful man!! I almost spit all my coffee all over the screen!!! As to those that keep bringing up the safety on the slide, you can get the ole girl with nothing more than a hammer drop. I cut my teeth on both the 1911A1 and the Beretta 92FS. I've also played with Glocks, and was issued one while an LEO. All of these and the CZ75/85, for us left handed folks, are really fantastic firearms. I would follow the suggestions of others here about getting your hands on all of them and shoot them. That's really the only way your going to know whats going to work for you. If you lived closer I'd invite you to the range here as I have all listed except the CZ, but do have a Browning HP, so its pretty close to the CZ, just SA only. So what ever you decide to pick(After you've been able to shoot them) I wish you good luck on your choice, and don't let anybody try to talk down to you on your choice.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get an M9 that has Assy numbers and an NSN on it and doesn't have that Pansy-ass warning crap all over it:

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_M9_DSCN9531.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_M9_DSCN9536.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom