G42 Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Glock 42 is the most finicky Glock I have ever shot. I am not a Glock guy at all but they usually run. Anyway tried some Flat nose FMJ ammo, it hated that I had at least a jam in every mag. Round nose FMJ ammo was flawless. 90 grain Speer Gold Dot JHP ran well, it did not like the Hornady 90 grain JHP. I know they will sell a bunch of them because its a Glock, but I really don't know a lot of people looking for a big .380, it would be much more attractive as a small 9mm.

I run my .380 strictly with FMJ at this point. It's my opinion, and the opinion of learned folks like Dr. Gary Roberts, that HP ammo is pointless in pocket .380s. Hollowpoints just don't expand and penetrate enough to be effective in this platform. Given a choice between expansion and penetration, I choose penetration. FMJ gives me more chance of that.

That being said, I'm turned off on the size as well.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run my .380 strictly with FMJ at this point. It's my opinion, and the opinion of learned folks like Dr. Gary Roberts, that HP ammo is pointless in pocket .380s. Hollowpoints just don't expand and penetrate enough to be effective in this platform. Given a choice between expansion and penetration, I choose penetration. FMJ gives me more chance of that.

That being said, I'm turned off on the size as well.

Have you seen one yet or just pictures? It's smaller than I expected it would be.

I have heard the same thing about the ammo. I have considered also just tuning FMJ for the same reasons. It always seems when people have trouble with the 380 round it's using HP ammo.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know that. If you watch the video it may tell. I am going with the HPR XTP rounds. Less than $30 for 50 at Academy.

Well after 10 more minutes of research I'm back to agreeing with you. Looks like I'm headed to academy.

I was just informed by my wife that this gun is hers!

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Precision One XTP was the top performer, but the only place I can find it was on line for $30 for 50, plus another $15 shipping. I will take my chances with the HPR. The top 3 were Precision One, Fiocchi Extrema, and HPR, all using the XTP round, all the same grain. I imagine some of the ones that were runners up would be fine in the G42 with the longer barrel (3.25 vs. 2.8). I just feel the HPR performed very well, and for the price for 50 rounds, I will feel just fine with my carry load. Next up is some Trijicon HD night sights as soon as they are available, and extra mags. I also ordered a Remora holster yesterday, and with the current promotion they have running, I got 25% off, and a free mag pouch.

Personally, I would prefer to have under penetration, and have to empty it in someone hell bent on killing me or mine. I do not think I could live with myself if a FMJ went through and hit an innocent by standard. Just my personal feeling.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody else notice the trigger face? All the other compact and subcompact glocks have the serrated/rough trigger, the 42 has the smooth trigger like the full sized models.

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_30_eju3a4e9.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom